• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NZXT 850 Watt Precise Power Supply Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muddocktor

Retired
Joe and Ed and Kyle Lunau,

All I have to say about this review is unless you can get some proper equipment to test a psu (like a Sunmoon analyzer, DMM and at least a Kill-A-Watt), please leave the psu testing to people that know what they are doing. Read your review, then go to HardOCP and read Paul Johnson's latest psu review or go to JonnyGuru's website and read a review that Oklahoma Wolf has done, compare them and see how to do a proper psu test. That is just a pitiful excuse of a review. Sorry to rain on your parade, but your review doesn't tell me what that psu can actually take, the actual OEM of the psu or the build quality and components used in it.

I hope you take this as constructive criticism and not a flame of your efforts. But if you want to do something, then for God's sake do it right or don't do it at all.:soda:

Kyle makes some hella funny reviews. At this point I've become convinced that he does it on purpose, sorta phones it in like the kid who always did his homework on the bus on the way to school. He probably laughs all the way to the mailbox on his way to grabbing the free hardware.

His name here appears to be 'ta10n' and I'd love to see him jump in one of these thread that seem to appear every time he 'reviews' something :p

Its better to have proper testing equipment to put it through its paces but in absence of that I'd love to have seen even a graph showing rails at 0%, 25%, 50%, 100% CPU load even, for a few hours at a time.

There are a lot of other details that would have been nice:

- Who are NZXT, who makes their components?
- The inside of a PSU tells a lot about its quality. It would have been nice to see inside and see what sort of components are in it.
- Why in the name of the wee man are people reading voltages using software!?. Needs moar multimeter.
- Wattage draw at the power socket and its change over time/load would have been interesting perhaps, rather than plugging components into a wattage calculator?
- What sort of PC is he actually testing it on?

Winning quote:

"Please do not open the power cover without any authorizations; it will cause thunder-stroke danger."

thunderstrokedangerfq5.jpg

Yeah seriously, A DMM is like what 10$, and it's alot more accurate than any software solution.

I have seen reviews like these so many times and I just shake my head. To do the best with what you got is one thing, but to do nothing with it is just a shame. How hard is it to get a DMM and a Kill-a-watt and a little research on the unit?

You can do a somewhat decent review for less than $50 worth the stuff and some effort, to do neither of those and pass it off as a review is unacceptable in my eyes.

:rofl: cmon guys dont be so harsh, its a good review that tells us plainly and simply that it will turn on and it has cables.

Shocking "review". I don't understand why a reputable site like this would encourage such sub-standard stuff.

Also, the front-page looks like crap. Surely the owners of this site can spend a few hundred $'s to improve the front page!

Edit# I just noticed the announcement in bold...

Last edited:
Shocking "review". I don't understand why a reputable site like this would encourage such sub-standard stuff.

Also, the front-page looks like crap. Surely the owners of this site can spend a few hundred $'s to improve the front page!

Edit# I just noticed the announcement in bold...

The 'front-page' isn't really related to the forums any more from what I can tell. It's basically just a place for Joe C and Kyle to post halfarsed reviews in exchange for free hardware and post amateur business analysis of AMD :)

The 'front-page' isn't really related to the forums any more from what I can tell. It's basically just a place for Joe C and Kyle to post halfarsed reviews in exchange for free hardware and post amateur business analysis of AMD :)
Not that there isn't good stuff on there, though.

To be fair, some of their older articles on hardware modifications etc were pretty informative. Business gossip is o.k but then there is only so much you can beat a dead horse.

Why isn't the author of the review commenting? User feedback is very useful to improve...unless he's decided to bolt from this forum faster than a cheetah from a salad bar..:confused:

I agree that the PSU reviews of late have been somewhat lacking. I remember seeing one PSU reviewer a few years ago read all the rails on an oscilloscope and tested for line noise, etc....what happened to that? I realize not everyone has an oscilloscope but there is a standard you have to uphold when you have articles like that.

The front page is still useful. I think Joe's insight is still relevant and good to hear. I don't really like Kyle's articles in general, but then again I also don't like seeing a million laptop coolers reviewed (though the hard drive enclosure reviews are always good as I set up a lot of these). It's all a matter of taste. If his methodologies improved, I'd have no problem with his articles. I kind of wish other hardware makers would come forward and submit a wider range of hardware for review but we're basically at the mercy of whoever feels like getting some free-as-in-product publicity.

I do think some higher quality reviews and other articles would be good. For a time I wrote on one site's My Turn column. That was a lot of fun and quite popular. Something more open than simply reviews and tech how-tos might generate more interest in viewer driven content.

I agree that the PSU reviews of late have been somewhat lacking. I remember seeing one PSU reviewer a few years ago read all the rails on an oscilloscope and tested for line noise, etc....what happened to that? I realize not everyone has an oscilloscope but there is a standard you have to uphold when you have articles like that.

You're looking for this: http://www.jonnyguru.com And he still does that. Yay for OklahomaWolf. And I think yay for the removal of a horrid non-review (the OP link to the unreview is dead). I read part of it that was cached on Google and I agree with the above posts :)

Back