• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte X48T Burnt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baditude_df

Northern Senior
Can anyone give me a hand here. I'm looking for your experience in what happens when a motherboard fries.

A little Back ground:
I put this machine together 2 weeks ago and it has been running fine and been through alot of stress testing.
Last night, I pulled the board and did 4 things:

1. Installed a DTek Fusion V2 with back plate. (No Obstructions visible btw back plate and board).

2. Installed my Pump and Fan Controller on the 3 pronged 4Pin Molex lead of my PSU, and installed my loop.

3. Installed 1mm washers btw standoffs and motherbaord tray to address a PCI expansion slot clearance problem

4. Removed the I/O shield due to new height of motherboard. I run a DD Torture Rack where everything is exposed anyway.

When it all went back together, and I hit the power button, all I get is a quick light and fan show (~.5sec) and nothing.
I believe this is what happened the last time I fried a board 5yrs ago (Gigabyte as well). What do you think?

PSU tests fine, GPU CPU and RAM test fine.

Thx in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Try removing the battery and clearing CMOS. The X48T does that every now and then. I doubt it's fried.

Thank you for your reply Guatam.

I kind of doubt it's fried as well. There are no loose components and no burn marks anywhere on the PCB and there was no burnt smell. Just has the same symptoms as my last fried Gigabyte.

I tried jumping the pins to clear the CMOS last night. It was my understanding that this had the same effect as removing the battery.

I could certainly be wrong, I've never really had to clear CMOS b4 believe it or not.

something is shorting out is my best guess.... if possible carefully remove the motherboard from the case, put on a cardboard box. then try to power it up...

Yea, good advise. I'll give it a try tonight after I try removing the battery.

I will add that the only part of the system touching metal is possibly the metal portion of the DVI plug on the GFX card making contact with the edge of the expansion slot. Other than that, it is just standoffs in their normal place. The motherboard sits horizontally on top of an acrylic tray, stood off roughly 1cm.

img0654qx1.jpg

img0667ru8.jpg

It is very easy to see if anything would be shorted or not. This is the first thing I thought of, and promptly removed the Mobo to inspect(DTek BackPlate in particular). I'll tear it off tonight on the off chance that there may be a tiny component that I missed under the adhesive, but I sincerely doubt it.
This may sound like a silly question, but is there any adverse effects of removing the I/O shield plate? I mean other than possible damage from plugs etc. and dust. I'm really at a loss here.

Last edited:
When you remove the battery, disconnect the PSU cables from the motherboard as well. Try that for a half an hour and then replace the cables and battery and try booting the board.

It was the PSU. It tested OK on my test box, but when plugged into the machine it wouldn't power it up. Funny thing is, when I put the dummy plug into the 24Pin to leak test my loop, my fans, pump and HDD's would fire right up. Plug in the EPS12V and the 24Pin Mobo Power and just a blip. As soon as I removed the mobo and put it on my test bed with the ol Silverstone 600 whammy! Fired right up. So that's what's in there right now.
The coolmax powered my machine b4, but has been doing the same thing off and on since I installed it. I just didn't know what component was causing it, or how serious the problem was until now.

I mentioned this in my PM, but I thought I would respond here too. The PSU is going into protective shutdown for some reason. Either it doesn't like the standby current the board is drawing, which I tend to think it doesn't because you mention it's happened before the mods, or it doesn't like the pump and/or fan controller. Or both.

In any case, I doubt the PSU itself has failed. However, since its one I sold you and I did say the magic words "90 day warranty," I'm more than willing to swap it for other big units I have kicking around the review pile. That, or at least check it out on the SunMoon again and see how well it's working.

PM replied. I agree. It's not a failed PSU per se, just something with the mobo and or system it's not liking one bit. It's too bad to be sure, it's a gorgeous PSU and I loved the way the semi-modular cabling system cut down on mess. It's like it was made for this system. And judging by the review it received, it's not a unit that will just up and blow.
Very good of you to swap it out for me wolf, somehow I knew you wouldn't leave me hanging.

Last edited:
Back