• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard recommendations for 8600 build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alien432

Tech Savvy Member
Guys,

Need your advice on best OC motherboards for E8600 & Visiontek HD4870 I just ordered. I'm thinking X48 or P45 under $250. There are some good value P45 out there but don't want to short change myself. I'm weak on good x48 boards. Also advice on heatsink to match board as well. I know some are a tight squeeze. Open to all ideas.

Looking at:
ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48
ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45
BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45
ASRock P45R2000-WiFi LGA 775 Intel P45
Foxconn P45A-S LGA 775 Intel P45

The X48 board will run better with a dual core...

My vote is the Rampage Formula...especially if you plan on running crossfire...

This has been the best board I have every had...and I mean the best...I have nothing bad to say about it at all...and the OC..well I still havent found a CPU to push it yet...not even the 3110...the CPU gives out before the board does...

Cant say enough about the LCD Poster either...saves on aspirin and plaster to repair the walls ;)...

I am very BIAS towards my Rampage...and you will see...others will praise the rampage also

This board flat out :attn:

Matter of fact I will be getting the DDR3 version here very soon :D

Within the week...its already been release in Asia, UK, Aust., seems like NA is the last to get it :mad:

Heres a thread at XS with testing of the LN2

It worked at 640MHz in air-cooling though even used the no good CPU, I achieved FSB700MHz with LN2. (The dual is 694MHz) I just start inspection of the BIOS, so FSB will go up still. x9.5 will be in fun now.

640 Air Cool :attn:

Also..heres a little tease of what the rampage can do...still not pushing it yet...but pushing the memory almost too its limit...

And yes I am at that setting as I type :D

ADDED: Theres some memory bandwidth after some tweaks

Attachments

• 575.jpg
    575.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Band.jpg
    Band.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Any more comments anyone? What are you running? Any P45 owners out there, chime in. What about heat sinks what are your running?:confused:

I am running a TRUE 120...but I wouldnt waste my money on it...the Tuniq Tower would be a better HS...

Back