• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard DIMM slots failed, or?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

realmisr

Hey guys...I'm really frustrated right now and would appreciate some insight.

Parts involved:
ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
4x 2gb OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Ram

So I JUST finished building my new computer. JUST finished, literally today. All was working fine until I started to install drivers and all into the newly installed windows. I noticed constant lockup/freezes.

At first I thought it was just a faulty windows, so I tried reinstalling another copy of the windows. Same thing. So I checked my harddrives and they were fine. So I went on to check ram. My bios had memory timings at "Auto", so I thought it might have been setting the timings wrong for me. (I have 8gbs of ocz reaper hpc, timings listed were 4-4-4-15)

That being said, I went into bios and manually changed the settings. Saved, and quit. After doing so, the system started to lockup and couldnt get passed the initial bootup screen (where you can press del to enter bios). I thought crap, It must be what I just did to the memory. So I restarted a few times to see if I can get back into bios, no luck. I then shut off the computer entirely, pulled the plug, and started again. But here goes the frustration:

Now when I turn on the computer, I can't even see that initial bootup screen. No signal on my monitor at all! The tower's "busy" light stays solid and doesn't blink. I checked - all fans are working, harddrives are working, cd drives are working, all cables are connected tightly and properly, motherboard lights are lit as well.

Here is all the solutions I have tried:

1) Taken out all ram and tried them individually - no results.
2) Replacing ram with compatible ram from another pc - no results.
2) Reset CMOS about 50 times - no luck.
3) Unplugged harddrives - no luck.
4) Plugging video into another monitor - same crap.

The thing is, this happened right after I had changed/tried to fix the timings of the ram. So I'm really wondering what the hell happened?

Did the DIMM slots of the motherboard get messed up after I did that? Did the ram get messed up?

The only thing I could think of would be something happened to the mb after I have changed the ram timings...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

I cant seee the mobo being screwed but maybe its defficient ram or bad ram, my buddy had the same symptoms and that was the cause, though he lost alot of data from his HDD's. just a thought.

hey, thanks for the quick reply.

I thought it was bad ram at first, which is why I checked the timing in the first place. However, I'm definitely iffy about how all 4 sticks are defective at the same time? I've tried all 4 in the 4 slots and the same problem persists...

Not to mention they WERE working right before I changed the timings to their stock timing in bios...I'm just frustrated. I have no idea how that could happen.

Anyone else with some thoughts?

I have tried taking out the motherboard from the case, placing it on cardboard, and booting with just cpu, video card, 1 stick of ram, and power supply.

The results remain...all lights are on, everything seems to be fine but no post...perhaps I should really rma the motherboard?

Back