• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rusty overclocker needs advice on his Abit IP35 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr Ripper

Registered
Hi all

I haven't overclocked a machine properly in a very long time.

I have recently assembled the following:
IP35 Pro - Bios 17
2x2gb OCZ Reaper 8500 HPC 5-5-5-18
Q6600 GO
8800 GTS
Watercooled
Antec trio 550w

Can someone explain what the following voltage settings are for and which one is the northbridge?

DDR VTT
MCH
ICH
ICHIO

Memory settings are confusing me the most. The problems i've had so far seem to be memory related. When its unstable prime stops really quick on the test which uses the most memory. When its testing cpu and barely any memory it lasts a pretty long time before it stops.

I've so far had 3.3ghz stable but that was me getting a bit fed up and raising a load of voltages a little (i'm gonna drop voltages back slowly till unstable).

Core load temperatures have been sub 50c.

Any advice on what the voltage IDs mean and how the memory settings work would be appreciated :)

First off have you done the bolt mod?

You remove the hp cooling system from the PRO, remove the crap TIM replace with AS5 and ceramique, then BOLT back down for even pressure.

I'm going to remove the hp cooling system shortly but I think I'll just add some washers between the springs and the board to increase the force down on the board. Also gonna do the vdroop mod.

Figured out that the MCH is northbridge so was able to raise the voltage on that and get my memory stable and clock it up some more.

Last edited:
Here is what is working for me with a very similar board and layout.
Raising the MCH the CPU-VTT and the memory voltage I think will help you.

I know your CPU is the Q6600 so your CPU voltages might need to be slightly higher than mine but this might be a good reference for you.

463x8=3712MHZ 24/7 folding
475x8=3808MHz 100% stable but temps are a touch high for 24/7 folding

CPU v 1.41
CPU-vtt 1.37
MCH 1.64
ICH 1.05
ICH10 1.5
DDR2 2.1 timing 5-5-5-15 2T

This system is totally stable on Air. CPU at full load is about 60C

You might talk to Cuda340 as he has your board and several Q6600 that he is running at about 3500MHZ

Thanks for the info.

I've been reading loads of information lately and it's all starting to make sense.

Do Q6600 GO's benefit from lapping? I was thinking of doing this while I had the motherboard out for the other 2 mods.

Also I used some zalman thermal compound which came with a previous 939 heatsink. Is stuff like artic silver 5 much better?

My core temps have been at the highest 53c under load @ 3.4ghz. Think the cpu voltage was at about 1.3 while under load. Think i've only tried 1.4x with the northbridge and haven't changed the cpu vtt. Is the cpu vtt something to do with voltage regulation?

I'll update my AMD 1600+ sig in a bit so everyone know's what I'm using :)

Cheers

i found this on CPU VTT voltage. I think this is true myself from what I have experienced.
As for thermal compound, I have had just as good of results with the white stuff on these large CPUs. On the old XP 1800s and stuff, I liked the Artic silver 5.

I have never lapped a CPU so I don't have any tested opinion.

Just keep reading like you are doing. There is tons of info from this site and members.

Quote:
CPU VTT is the most important setting for stable overclocks. The CPU VTT Voltage sets the CPU termination voltage, allowing for a 1.55V maximum. Using this voltage in combination with the CPU VCore voltage setting can greatly enhance the system stability while overclocked. The system memory reference voltage is split between settings, the controller reference voltage and one option each for the two memory channels. In all cases, the base reference voltage can be set to a maximum of .03V over half of the set memory voltage. (Taken from HardOCP)

"In summary, the CPU VTT controls the CPU termination voltage. Based on Kirmie's observations, it reduces the number of false electrical signals by providing a form of "ground" to pull out these false currents. ." (Credit to Kirmie for the find) My experience with this board is that the max setting (1.55) provides the best results. I have not had a single crash or temperature variation as a result.

Back