• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best board for a e8400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crimson1566

People have reccomended Asus P5Q Pro. Is this what you guys reccomend? Any other choices that may be better?

There's not really a best board as many different motherboards are capable of pushing an E8400 to its limits. That said, an Asus P5Q Pro is a very solid choice. I would definitely recommend one to someone that isn't looking to run dual GPU's in the future.

Are there better choices? Sure.

But it really depends on what the user is looking for. Is price a factor? What do you need from the mobo? There are mobo ranges from budget to main stream to enthusiast that will determine the cost and usually within all the price points it'll offer more or less features so when you ask for the best board it'll be easier to answer if you can elaborate on your needs.

I know I chose an Asus P5Q Pro because I wanted a mobo that could overclock, had a good layout, had a good amount of usb ports, firewire, ability to do crossfire etc. I didn't need a top tier board as I wouldn't use a lot of the functions and I'm working with a budget where I want to find the best bang for the buck.

Originally I was looking at the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R as it was the cheapest I could find with the options I was looking for at 124.99. I ending up with the Asus as it ending up being 119.99 because it had a few more mobo options that the gigabyte didn't have like expressgate, those q-connectors etc.

standf.JPG

My second choice is a ASUS P5Q Pro followed by an Abit IP35 Pro.

I have both the P5Q Deluxe (not the Pro) and the IP35 Pro. The Asus easy out performs in overclocking. I got my E8400 up to 3.8 ghz using a lot of tweeks and adjustments on the IP35 Pro. Placed the same E8400 in the Asus P5Q Deluxe and was at 4.0 ghz the first try using all auto except FSB and multiplier. Don't know about the P5Q Pro. I believe the Deluxe is 16 Phase power while the Pro is only 8 Phase. Not a expert here so check this out.

Back