• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Layout

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
NOTICE: We are cutting over to a new server and a new site design effective August 11, thanks to the great efforts of Brett Taylor, to whom I am deeply indebted for his unstinting patience and time. It may take about a day for it to take effect as it ripples through the internet.

So they are loading up a new layout based on the inquires asked earlier this year. Has anyone seen it yet? I'm still getting the old site (which I really really like).

Also I can't remember does iNet own overclockers.com or does Joe & Ed own and pay for the servers?

New layout is up at http://oc1.overclockers.com/ . I personal greatly prefer the old layout. I think this new one doesn't work well at all. Just mainly the colors, what happened to Yellowish Orange and blue being the color's of the website?

i have a strong opinion...

YUCK =P

okay - I'm sure there was a lot of effort and time put into this new layout, and there may be non-aesthetic benefits I haven't realized yet... but my reaction isn't so much dislike for the new as much as a love for the old layout.

I particularly miss the color scheme. I personally would be more accepting of the new layout if they didn't choose "black on white" as the text/background colors. Reading through lengthy, thought provoking articles is much easier on the eyes with subdued colors.

Who doesn't love our current forum/frontpage colors?

The placement is OK. The colors and fonts aren't. I think slightly revising the old site would be cool.

Blue on black background would be better but it does seem a vast improvement over the 1920's look of the old site.

seems to load slow and I don't much care for the colors or layout. Too much going on there for my taste.

I think there should have been a beta up first to get some feedback rather than say here is your new overclockers.com site.

Enough with the hating guys, this is something that took years to get done. The colors can be adjusted easily. (In fact you can do so yourself)

Brett Taylor is senior member splat here, give him your props. ;)

Enough with the hating guys, this is something that took years to get done. The colors can be adjusted easily. (In fact you can do so yourself)

sure Mr. "my rig is the front page of OC.com" lol J/K j/k

no really, the pic is the last one in HERE
(good thing it was on an angle and they could crop out the lack of all 4x mounting bolts (heee-hehehehe))

anyway... :attn:

EDIT: sorry thats a thread in the benchmark team area and im not sure how many people can see it

Last edited:
One Request:

Make the OC Banner take you back to the home page. Not that there isn't already a home button but it just makes more sense to do it like every other web page.

Other than that I like the new layout. Job well done!

Don't know that I would call it hating, Brett's effort is much appreciated I'm sure. It's just that the layout will take time to get used to and I think having a similar format for colors and graphics across the home page and forums would be a nice touch.

hey guys, glad you love the new site 😉

On the topic of colors, i'll just say that 1) my main goal was "theme and variation". Be similar but different. I wanted it to relate to the forum, but still visually be it's own page. So why orange? It's the opposite of blue. 2) "Black text on white bg" was really the only design principle that Joe mandated. he did his own study of websites and polling people and came to the conclusion that he wanted those colors. So whether I wanted to or not, that's what I had to stick with. and I guess i'll just go ahead and say I don't mind it. The design can be changed very easily so I'm not worried about it.

But even more than the design of the website, my goal was to bring the website up to date with a modern back end. The hardest part by far was importing the 4000+ articles in to a database. That is really the thing I am most proud of since I have no formal training as a programmer, and I wrote the import script 100% by myself.

Anyway, take some time to browse around and see all the new features of the website. Everything is modular so its simple to move things around and it's database driven so the sky's the limit.

I'm not a professional web developer/design and I volunteered to do this in my free time. I've been working on this for over a year, so I'm very excited to see it finally become reality. All criticisms/critiques/suggestions are welcome, but please keep them respectful if you want anyone to take you seriously.

Back