• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6801 vs p45 for a 8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

outhouse

ive been out of the loop so to speak but i understand the p45 chipset will overclock much better then a 680i with the 8400.

with that said i have a evga 680i blackpearl hand picked MB so if there ever was a 680i that could clock this would be it. it does support 45nm with the new bios flash.

if i can run up to 4g watercooled on the blackpearl [big if] am i going to see any major gains with a p45/48 chipset ??? for gaming and normal use nothing fancy here.

If I remember correctly, there were bios mods that let the 680i run 45nm dual cores (doesn't work for the quads very well). Thus, you "might" well see a 450FSB outa that board. If that were the case, I don't think you would see much performance difference between it and the P45.

You got the time to try it, get a 8400 and see. You could sell your 680i later if things don't work out. Depending on your plans for Nehalem later on, this might fill some reasonable intermediate time frame for ya. :beer:

thanks bud.

i keep my rigs once built for 5+ years lol as you can see in my sig :)

as long as i hit 4g which i see no problems then ill keep trhe 680i. many have done it on air let alone water on the same board. just didnt want to leave any major performance gains on the table if i kept the 680i. im sure with the 38/48 chipset i could get a couple hundred mhz more but thats not worth the upgrade.

680i only supports 45nm dual cores, no modded bios needed. some are able to run 45nm quads but at stock only....

i will say give it a shot worst case like deep said your max fsb is going to be around 450ish.

Back