• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New and confused with overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dlk289

I messed around with overclocking on my old system and it's been so long ago that i am very lost now.
All i want to do is overclock my q6600 to maybe 3.6. From what i understand i have to increase the fsb and increase the vcore as i increase the fsb to make sure it still boots. I don't care about overclocking the memory, unless you guys think i really should. As of now i just want the cpu to keep this simply. Is my process right? increase fsb, run prime95 check for errors, increase fsb, and check for errors (while maintaining decent temps). I know i need to increase the vcore so my processor can get some more juice, but i don't really know why. I read most of the sticky for overclocking quads but got confused when it started talking about all of the memory settings.

Any helps or some good reads would be appreciated. thanks

Last edited:
Just increase fsb and cpu vcore voltage for now. Set memory at lowest speed setting, once you figure stable cpu speed you can then worry about memory. Don't forget to set memory voltage.

Try setting vcore at 1.4v and 3.2ghz and prime for about half hour. If it stable increase fsb. You can fine tune vcore depending on you cpu and mobo, mobo might have vcore drop. It may need less or more vocre but that depends on cpu and cooling.

What do you mean by set it at the lowest speed setting? Does that mean manually enter in 5-5-5-15 and 2.1 for the voltage?

Back