• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Conditioner crashes system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

btaylor1117

Registered
Hi all. So i thought that i could get some insulated ducting and run it directly from the AC output to my computer. Seems pretty simple. Using realtemp at first i noticed temperatures all dropping about 15c:santa2:. Then computer crashed:confused:. Turn it back on, crashed about 5 mins later:confused:. I turned down the AC to a lower level. Computer works about 10 mins then crashes (blue screen). The hard drives begin making clicking sounds when the cold air blows into the system. Are my hard drives freezing up? There isn't any condensation the whole room is still less than what the computer is telling me internal temps are. When i removed the AC from the computer now everything works fine. Anyone ever play around with something like this before? Thanks for any advise.

Hi all. So i thought that i could get some insulated ducting and run it directly from the AC output to my computer. Seems pretty simple. Using realtemp at first i noticed temperatures all dropping about 15c:santa2:. Then computer crashed:confused:. Turn it back on, crashed about 5 mins later:confused:. I turned down the AC to a lower level. Computer works about 10 mins then crashes (blue screen). The hard drives begin making clicking sounds when the cold air blows into the system. Are my hard drives freezing up? There isn't any condensation the whole room is still less than what the computer is telling me internal temps are. When i removed the AC from the computer now everything works fine. Anyone ever play around with something like this before? Thanks for any advise.

hi,
it may be a cold bug or something like that. Why dont u remove ur harddrives and put them outside ur case. try this and then tell us what happened.

You might have condensation actually, if letting your computer dry out seems to fix it then this was probably it. I would also try moving the hdd's just in case, but it's not going to be a coldbug, those occur

Sounds like either your harddrives are very sensitive to cold, or again condensation. Even micro condensation

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure you're right about the condensation. Guess i need to start researching water cooling.:) Thanks again.

get a plastic box, put all your hardware in it, suck the air out and then connect your ac to it. this way you can avoid condensation.

The only way to avoid condensation is to make sure environmental conditions aren't going to allow it. That means knowing temperature and humidity, and ultimately the dew point. Basically, unless you have 0% humidity you WILL get condensation at some point.

If you suck all of the air out, then what will conduct the heat to the AC? I have seen one that was done in a sealed nitrogen case though over at XS.

get a plastic box, put all your hardware in it, suck the air out and then connect your ac to it. this way you can avoid condensation.
The universe dislikes that, therefore it will cause leaks in your box, and **** upon you ;)
The only way to avoid condensation is to make sure environmental conditions aren't going to allow it. That means knowing temperature and humidity, and ultimately the dew point. Basically, unless you have 0% humidity you WILL get condensation at some point.
0% Humidity isn't that hard though....
If you suck all of the air out, then what will conduct the heat to the AC? I have seen one that was done in a sealed nitrogen case though over at XS.
Bingo and no need for N2, simply seal the box, the humidity will drop to 0% as it all will ice up on the evap ;)

Update: I think I damaged my old video card (7900gtx) since i keep getting blue screens randomly, usually about 15 mins after computer is on. Everyone once in a while vista tells me the error is from the video card. Luckily i have 2 4870x2 otw :) should be here this thursday. Will update on some benchmarks and figure out how to post pics then. Thanks everyone again for all the replies i like all the far out ideas haha.

Update: You are right it's the Raptors. My 640gb WD is perfectly fine however the raptors with the silly clear covers now show "Errors Detected" in boot up :eek:. Looks like i'll need to get as much off them as possible and buy a couple velociraptors. Thanks again for the help.

Back