• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC crashes when playing games on Asus Striker II Extreme, need help please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

k992

Registered
Hello everyone, not sure if this is the right place to ask for help, but hope i can learn something here.

I have just finished building my new gaming pc for the first time, but its really unstable, every time i play games, the game will crash after roughly 5 mins and exit to windows with a messenge saying XXX.exe has stop working, or sometimes when i try to download something or have it turned on for longer than 2 hours i get a blue screen. I dont have any experience with pc building before, therefore i have not the slightest idea on what might be causing the problem. I hope some of you here could give me some advices.

My PC has the following components

CPU: Intel e8400@stock speed
MB: Ausu Striker II Extreme (I haven't watercool it, i just leave the fusion block with rubber caps on)
Memory: 8gb ocz PC3-10666C7 1333MHz ddr3 (4x2gb)
GPUs: BFG GTX 280 in sli
HDD: Samsung 1TB SATA
PSU: Tagan BZ 1300

I have ran real temp and cpuz and got a screen shot in the attachment, the temp for my cpu is 32C at idle and 39C at load for both cores according to real temp, but everest is showing 42C at idle and 50C at load, i dont know which one is more accurate, and here is the information everest is showing

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type IT8718F + W83791D + ADP3228 (ISA 290h, SMB 2Dh, SMB 20h)
GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)
Motherboard Name Asus Striker II Extreme / Formula / NSE
Chassis Intrusion Detected No

Temperatures
Motherboard 37 °C (99 °F)
CPU 25 °C (77 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 42 °C (108 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 42 °C (108 °F)
MCP 61 °C (142 °F)
GPU1: GPU 73 °C (163 °F)
GPU1: GPU Ambient 49 °C (120 °F)
GPU2: GPU 57 °C (135 °F)
GPU2: GPU Ambient 47 °C (117 °F)
Temperature #2 -47 °C (-53 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2848 RPM
Chassis 1160 RPM
Chassis #1 1160 RPM
Chassis #2 1400 RPM
Chassis #3 1412 RPM
Fan #1 737 RPM
Fan #3 1197 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.26 V
+3.3 V 3.33 V
+5 V 4.97 V
+12 V [ TRIAL VERSION ]
+5 V Standby 5.08 V
VBAT Battery 3.23 V
CPU VTT 1.12 V
CPU PLL 1.52 V
North Bridge Core 1.33 V
South Bridge Core 1.52 V
HyperTransport 1.33 V
DIMM 1.81 V
DIMM VTT 0.90 V

Please if anyone has any ideas or opinions about this problem, please let me know, i will be very appreciate.

Thanks.

Attachments

• screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Try upping the core voltage to default...its slightly undervolting it...

Try 1.25v...this should keep you stable...

I dont quite understand this, in cpuz it shows my cpu voltage to be 1.184V, but in everest its showing to be 1.26V, but in my BIOS its set to auto. Anyone know if cpuz or everest is more accurate?

Ok, i have up the voltage to 1.25V, but its still unstable in game, both cpuz and everest is showing a different voltage. CPUz showing slightly less and everest showing more. And my cpu is now running at 1.8 ghz after the voltage increase, i dont know why, i have not change anything else.

Attachments

• screentshot3.jpg
    screentshot3.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 314
Are you running the latest BIOS for your board? If not...you might want to try to update the BIOS..this might be a BIOS temps senor issue...

Also...what are your memory timings and voltage set at...if auto...it could be undervolting the memory...

Auto setting for CPU/DDR/PLL/NB are usally a bad thing...its better to set those voltages manually...

You should also set your memory timings to manual settings also...

Most of the times auto either is way too much or not enough...it varies all the time which can lead to instabilities...from either heat from too much voltage or from not enough which causes hardware failure...most of the times its memory...

Not sure if my BIOS is the latest one, mine is version 0602, and i cant update to any version through the asus update utilit, i have manually set my memory voltage to 1.8V, and my memory timing is at 7-7-7-20 as its manufacturer says it should be. My cpu is now running at 3.0ghz again after a restart.

You might want to rescan my last post...was adding when you posted...

What does EU state the DIMM voltage is when you have it set at 1.8v? EDIT: I see in the first post...

Not really sure...the only other thing I can think of would be trying 2 sticks of memory at a time...possible you might be overloading the DIMMs with all 4 slots filled (it shouldnt...but doenst mean it hasnt happened before)...

Sry I can't help out more...but I am not familiar with those BIOS settings on that board...it just might be a simple BIOS option that needs change also...

I am sure someone with a striker can get you up and going stable :)

Last edited:
Just a thought, could this problem be caused by mb chipset temp being too high? Since i dont have the chipset watercooled, it could be high as 59C idle and 61C at load.

Back