• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p5e3 premium vs rampage extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
as a previous owner of a P5E3P I'd have to vote for the rampage extreme....

Gotta go with RD on this one...the extreme...will let you know for sure in about 3 weeks when I get mine :D

lol glock...i'm waiting for my extreme to arrive as well :beer:

I am heavily into overclocking...I found the P5E3P a real pain in the backside to overclock, ofcourse at the time there weren't many people with the same board... Ross had more success than I did on his P5E3P, but he's a super clocker and he generally can do better than most with a given piece of hardware.

Specifically the P5E3P I had did not like extreme cold temperatures...iirc it would bug around -70c. Also I couldn't get my ram, QX9650, or a QX9770 to clock very well in that board (I have totally forgotten which BIOS I used) the BIOS updates may have fixed some of the issues by now.

Basically, it was a tough board to get overclocked, change one setting and no boot or stalled boot or blue screen. That was my expereince with that board...I actually gave it away twice, the first person I gave it to returned it to me within a few weeks becuase he had headaches getting it to overclock as well. The second guy still has the board but he doesn't overclock so he's satisfied with it at stock.

it kind sucks that it doesn't have the onboard wifi like the p5e3p does though, but oh well.
It's only $40 more so i might as well.

couple questions though, with that heatsink(?) under the first pcie slot, would i be able to crossfire 4870x2's if i decide to do so?

Also, I'm building the same system for my brother and i don't think he or I will be OC'ing his system. Would he be better of with the p5e3p or a different board?

Last edited:
right away...if you plan on running quad-fire with 4870 X2's...you better rething your PSU...

You better thinking more along the line of 1000w+...those X2's are some serious power hogs alone...

Also...since you are going quad...if you plan on running high FSB...then you might want to rethink the MB also...you will have better OCing with a P45 board running a quad then you will with a X38/48 chipset board...the X38/48 chipset if physically limited to around 460 - 470...and as far as I know...there is no work around....the P45 boards can run 500+ all day long on quads...and since you plan on running dual X2's...you will never see the difference running 16x8 CF...

The X38/48 boards are really setup for the dual cores...especially the 45nm...

I just changed my psu to a 1000w since it's got a package deal with the antec 1200 case i decided to go with.

I definitely will not be crossfiring right now, but I just wanna be safe now in case i decide to do so in the future.

As for the P45 boards, can you recommend me any?

Thanks!

Now that i think about it, would i be better of going dual core rather than quad core?

Depends...what do you plan on using the system for?

Pretty much gaming and surfing...yes, go dual core...

If you plan on doing multi-tasking programs or any encoding/multi-media center workloads...then stay with the quad

Well I'll probably be playing games most of the time, but i also do some media stuff, video/photo editing, etc. I'm also hoping that this build will last for at least a couple of years with some minor upgrades along the way such as crossfiring.

I also heard that games in the future will be utilizing quad cores, thats why i went with a quad

Last edited:
I am heavily into overclocking...I found the P5E3P a real pain in the backside to overclock, ofcourse at the time there weren't many people with the same board... Ross had more success than I did on his P5E3P, but he's a super clocker and he generally can do better than most with a given piece of hardware.

Specifically the P5E3P I had did not like extreme cold temperatures...iirc it would bug around -70c. Also I couldn't get my ram, QX9650, or a QX9770 to clock very well in that board (I have totally forgotten which BIOS I used) the BIOS updates may have fixed some of the issues by now.

Basically, it was a tough board to get overclocked, change one setting and no boot or stalled boot or blue screen. That was my expereince with that board...I actually gave it away twice, the first person I gave it to returned it to me within a few weeks becuase he had headaches getting it to overclock as well. The second guy still has the board but he doesn't overclock so he's satisfied with it at stock.

have you tried DFI before? How does it fair to this in terms of ease of ocing?

Now that i think about it, would i be better of going dual core rather than quad core?

Read my sig.

have you tried DFI before? How does it fair to this in terms of ease of ocing?

I haven't touched a DFI since the Nf4 days. You can ask El<(')>Maxi about the DFI X48 DDR3 board, he played with one awhile back...as I recall it wasn't a fun experience ...but ask him

Back