• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with ds3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rocksfan_1

i got a used ds3 for a buddy off of here. Well i went to go install a e6550 into it, and got everything done like normal and went to try it. The thing wouldn't post. So at first i thought maybe the ram isn't compatible, so i tried 4 different kinds of ram, still nothing.

Well then i got to doing some googling and tried taking the battery out and putting it back in. well no the fans won't even turn on! i don't know what to do at this point. i also tried the power supply from my main rig and that won't even budge it. here is what i am trying in it

gigabyte p965 ds3 rev 1
e6550
leadtek 8600gt
OCZ platinum rev 2
rosewill PSU

any suggestions would be great, hoping it isn't a faulty board

i got a used ds3 for a buddy off of here. Well i went to go install a e6550 into it, and got everything done like normal and went to try it. The thing wouldn't post. So at first i thought maybe the ram isn't compatible, so i tried 4 different kinds of ram, still nothing.

Well then i got to doing some googling and tried taking the battery out and putting it back in. well no the fans won't even turn on! i don't know what to do at this point. i also tried the power supply from my main rig and that won't even budge it. here is what i am trying in it

gigabyte p965 ds3 rev 1
e6550
leadtek 8600gt
OCZ platinum rev 2
rosewill PSU

any suggestions would be great, hoping it isn't a faulty board

You might have to update the bios to support the new chip. Or... if it's a 1333mhz chip... it may not be supported by revision 1 at all.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw

I'd post a fuller link, but I'm in the middle of a heated argument. (Isn't that always? ;) )

if that is the CPU/system fans u are talking about then they dont necessarily turn on untill the mobo has posted becuase they will wait for a signal from the mobo saying what speed to run atm.

imo start from scratch. take everyting out put the CPU in and turn it on see if it posts.

if it posts add ram. again add HDD after that.

where did the board come from? have u got a different CPU you can try in it?

well i got it to start the fans and such now (faulty power switch on case)

I read somewhere that the board needs a 4 pin fan for the heatsink? i am using a sythe ninja which only has 3, and i read that it needs to have a 4 so that the computer can control it. do you think this is the problem?

not a problem, just the fan on the HS will run at 100%. the fourth pin allows the mb to control the rpms on the fan. so if its not running hot (ie CPU not loaded), then the fans spin at a low RPM. when you load it and the CPU starts generating some heat, the MB will kick the fans into a higher RPM

my scythes don't have a 4th pin and run 100% 24/7.

does everyone think i should try my e6400 in it? don't really want to swap cpus though (low on thermal paste)

does everyone think i should try my e6400 in it? don't really want to swap cpus though (low on thermal paste)

Follow rainless' advice. The 6550 to run on that MB will need a bios flash. It's because it's a newer revision of CPU, as are all the 6x50 CPU's.

I'm too lazy to see if gigabyte has support for this for this rockin board.

turns out you guys are right, the board doesn't support 1333 without a flash, well i am going to give him my e6400 and keep his e6550 and use that in my rig instead, just quickly tried it out and i got it up to 3 ghz with COLD temps of 21C idle!

turns out you guys are right, the board doesn't support 1333 without a flash, well i am going to give him my e6400 and keep his e6550 and use that in my rig instead, just quickly tried it out and i got it up to 3 ghz with COLD temps of 21C idle!

Yeah... The Rev 1 DS3 is badass. I love the fact that they got great speeds, ran cool, and the firmware was always updated CONSTANTLY.

I was the biggest skeptic around at first, but Gigabyte really won me over as a customer.

Back