• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good OCer + DDR3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lukee

which board would be the best OCer that supports DDR3 1600 MHz.

I am running an E8400 and ATI 4870X2. I don't plan on going Xfire anytime soon, so I'm ok with only have 1 PCI-E at 16x.

What I do want is a board that Overclocks extremely well and something not too expensive otherwise I'd go with an X48 that supports 2 X16 PCE-I in case I decide to go Xfire in the future.

Thanks in advance.

not many choices x48 is one for ddr3 after that it would be the p5q3 or something or other asus board the p5q3-dlx?

Ah. ok. Which X48 shows to be the best for OCing?
Well, there is no "best" for overclocking, they all use the same chipset.

I had a Asus P5e3 Premium and was able to push it to 590fsb ;)

Ah. ok. Which X48 shows to be the best for OCing?

Rampage Extreme

Thats one of the best dual core X48 boards out...can reach upwards to 640FSB on air...plus people have been getting 100mhz or so more OC then on other boards...

If you plan on upgrading to a quad here soon...I wouldnt go with a X48 chipset board...they are physically limited on FSB OC with quads...

The P45 is the choice boards for quads...they can run well over 500FSB...

ADDED: There are difference besides the chipsets...the power phase the board uses also matters on how well it OCs...

difference would be the amount of voltage options for one which on air/water. your not going to need the higher values the more costly board offers.

Ok, good. I just want to OC my E8400 to between 3.6 - 4.0 for gaming and have it stable. Now, the more I can get out of it the better, but I've been having problems with my current board.

Ok, good. I just want to OC my E8400 to between 3.6 - 4.0 for gaming and have it stable. Now, the more I can get out of it the better, but I've been having problems with my current board.
Well, I'd suggest working with that board first. I've yet to see a board not be able to push a e8400/e3110 to 3.6. What board?

Evga 790i Ultra SLI. I've gotten it to 3.6, but My 1600 MHz memory is running at 1067. If I try to run it at 1600 o even 1333 with the CPU at 3.6 it crashes.

I raised the memory voltage to compensate but still nothing.

Another reason that I want to change this out is that with the 4870X2 that I got, I may buy another one, or just a 4870 and run Xfire, but this board is obviously onlu for SLI.

Rampage Extreme

If you plan on upgrading to a quad here soon...I wouldnt go with a X48 chipset board...they are physically limited on FSB OC with quads...

The P45 is the choice boards for quads...they can run well over 500FSB...

ADDED: There are difference besides the chipsets...the power phase the board uses also matters on how well it OCs...

Actually I have thinking about getting a quad soon. I started photography and a quad should help with photoshop and video editing.'

Which P45 board with DDR3 support would you recommend?

I mean, I guess I could always get one with DDR2, but wouldn't I be losing out ?

you not going to be losing anything by sticking with DDR2 over DDR3. i would only suggest going DDR3 if you are heavy into ocing and/or going to pick up neha when it comes out. quad prolly wont help with photoshop but will with A/V stuff. the Q9400 imo is the best bang for quads. others will tell your the Q6600 but this really depends, IMO. as if your A/V app can use the new SSSE4 instructions then it will be better to get the Q9000. other wise get the Q6600, as if 15mins doesnt matter much to you. as that is the amount of time SSSE4 cuts off of DVD tanscoding/encoding.

I was thinking about the Q9550 since it is the same price as a Q9450.

This board is replacing my Evga 790i so I already have the DDr3 memory.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, I ordered the Q9550 as well as the Asus P5q3 Deluxe/Wifi from Newegg.

Back