• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5Q Deluxe and prescott 540 on air!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilgNZ

Registered
Hey guys.... I'm stuck in the dark ages with my chip, but have been upgrading my system piece by piece lately.

Anyway, I have a prescott 540 prime stable @4.2ghz 1.408 Vcore

Load temps...... 30c :attn: (ambient about 23c)

I thought these things ran hot! lol anyway here are my specs as they stand:

Asus P5Q Deluxe
Prescott 540 3.2 @ 4.2 (crappy crappy prime 1m of 31.8secs!!! :-/ )
True Black 120 with two silverstone 120mm 106cfm fans (push pull)
Gigabyte nx 8800GT (G92 512mb version)
Zalman 850w PSU
Apacer DDR2 800 running @ 873mhz (5:3 divider) and 1.98v
Crappy old random case

I am soon to purchase an E8xxx CPU, but not sure whether to fork out for the 8600 or just go with a considerably cheaper 8500.

-- Experience with the Asus P5Q deluxe = bliss .... dropped my CPU temps (under load) by about 15c, and allowed a great overclock than 3.6ghz, as compared to my crappy old ECS 815 board!!
-- Experience with TRUE - dropped my temps a further 10-15 degrees compared to my old zalman 9500!!

Pretty happy with my newest purchases tbh (True and P5Q) - and I am really really looking forward to the performance boost I should get with a new core 2 chip! (netburst really does suck!)

Comments on the above are welcome!
Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
:welcome: (First things first)

That's a great achievement, congrats! But...there is always a but....

That just doesn't sound right....that's too cool to be accurate. A Mobo should never be able to drop a CPU temp by 15C..I do not know if I trust the temp readings.

thats crazy, last i heard 65nm prescotts didnt really help the heat issue
got any benchies? :p

It's a 90nm prescott..... and I heard that too.... but yeh the results speak for themselves. I guess back when everyone ran prescotts, they didn't have awesome boards like this one. BTW it's an E0 stepping prescott (not sure if that means anything to anyone)

What benchies would you like to see??... it's a pig slow chip, so I wouldn't expect much

:welcome: (First things first)

That's a great achievement, congrats! But...there is always a but....

That just doesn't sound right....that's too cool to be accurate. A Mobo should never be able to drop a CPU temp by 15C..I do not know if I trust the temp readings.

I would agree with you normally, however my old ECS board didn't allow voltage adjustment... so it probably cranked the hell out of all the voltages.... still I couldn't even get it stable at 3.6 with my old board.... so naturally I am stoked with the 4.2. I just put my finger on top of the true's HS block, and it's only just warm....

These chips thermal throttle right? if they do, they would probably let me know if things were getting unreasonably hot -- or does the throttling rely on a decent temp sensor to function well?

Back