• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about phases

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lukee

I keep reading that board X is an 8 phase board and board y is a 16 phase board.

What exactly does that mean?
What are the benefits of having a higher phase board?

Thanks.

Its the power circuitry that takes the raw power from the PSU and filters/sends it to where its needed on the board.

8 vs 16 phase really isnt that much of a difference, and Im not sure there are any real 16 phase boards. I think asus lists 16phase, but its not true 16phase.

Now, a 4 vs 8 phase board could have a real difference. For example, a quad core proc, which obviously needs more power than a dual core, may OC better on an 8 phase board vs a 4 phase due to its increased power requirements.

giabyte also has some of these fake phases where they have multiple ferrites per phase

One more question, how can you tell the phase of a particular board?

I was looking at the biostar TP45HP

Ah, so that board wouldn't be as good as an 8 phase or does it realyl matter?

I just bought a p5q3 Deluxe/Wifi P45 and Q9550 for my main rig and was going to put my E8400 on my 2nd PC, but the mobo doesn't support 45nm so I need a new mobo for it. I was also going to put my 9800Gx2 in it, although I've been flirting with buying a 4850 or 4870 for it since i am tryhing to phase out my Nvidia stuff.

Ah, so that board wouldn't be as good as an 8 phase or does it realyl matter?

I just bought a p5q3 Deluxe/Wifi P45 and Q9550 for my main rig and was going to put my E8400 on my 2nd PC, but the mobo doesn't support 45nm so I need a new mobo for it. I was also going to put my 9800Gx2 in it, although I've been flirting with buying a 4850 or 4870 for it since i am tryhing to phase out my Nvidia stuff.

It depends really. Without OCing, it probably would be fine, however you may not get as high OC's with a 4 phase than you would with an 8 and a quad.

Also depends on the quality of the power components. 9550's use less power than my q6600 so you would probably be ok.

From all that i have read on the Biostar it is in no way limited by having 4 phase power. I bought the P5Q-D because it had the 16 phase but in reality I don't see any difference with it. Funny thing is I will replace it tonight or tomorrow with the Biostar and I will see for sure, but I expect nothing will change. People are getting just as high of clocks, and higher with the Biostar vs the Asus, on Duals and Quads.

Last edited:
From all that i have read on the Biostar it is in no way limited by having 4 phase power. I bought the P5Q-D because it had the 16 phase but in reality I don't see any difference with it. Funny thing is I will replace it tonight or tomorrow with the Biostar and I will see for sure, but I expect nothing will change. People are getting just as high of clocks, and higher with the Biostar vs the Asus, on Duals and Quads.

8phase is recommended for quads, at least older ones like the q6600. Yours is really an 8 phase board, Asus just doubles it but its technically only 8 phase.

I will say this about the 4 chips on the Biostar (UPS got here a few minutes ago), they look much bigger than I remember on any other board I have had. We shall see.

higher phases are better for the extreme OC'ers that use liquid nitrogen, dry ice, High-end TEC's and all sorts of crazy scientist methods to get another 12MHz outta their system.

Back