• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Went water cooling, and now I can't overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoodleGTS

WTF!!! So,

I installed a water cooling loop which has my CPU and NB in it. I absolutely cannot overclock now. I don't know what's going on but every time I try to overclock my computer starts locking up and doesn't even POST properly.

I had a 750i FTW that I RMAed because of some problems, but before those problems I was on stock air cooling and I got my E8400 easily to 4GHZ (and up to 4.4) Now I can't even fully post at 3.6!!!

Anyone know what's up? The one thing that has changed is that I'm on water now.

Your airflow and your northbridge cooling are whacked probably.

What's the best way to check? WHen I go into my BIOS both my CPU and MB read 32C, which according to the EVGA guy is pretty good (usually it should be 60-70C on the stock cooler). My CPU and NB on the same loop...

Airflow wise I'm set if you stand within 3 feet of my case your feet get cold.

Have you cleared Cmos by removing the battery for a while?

Yeah, that doesn't do anything....

So here is my situation:

Currently running all stock settings, with 1 GTX 280 (put the other one away) and the rest of my rig is in the sig. My processor idles at 29-30C and at full load does not exceed 40C (I have my CPU and NB on the same loop). All the sensors for the NB temperature are way off (121C) but my BIOS said 32C idle and the eVGA rep told me that this was an accurate reading and that the usual range is ~60 on the stock cooler. If the NB actually got to 121C there's no way my CPU would stay at 40C so I'm assuming that's just wrong.

So I'm guessing temps are not an issue.

I'm using 8GB of Mushkin (see sig) which I used to have no problem clocking to 1000MHz. My E8400 also has no problem going up to 4.4 Ghz (stable until 4ish). In fact on my old 750iFTW i ran this setup stable for over 24 hours.

stable.jpg

Now when I try to do anything other than adjust the memory timings (from 5-5-5-18 to 4-4-4-12 which is stock on my chips) I ge... EPIC failure. The computer simply will not POST at anything beyond stock. I get all sorts of lockups and resetting. Most of the error codes I get (they're pretty random) seem memory related. I've used a different combination of the sticks, and even swapped out my Mushkin for a stick of Kingston Value Ram, but I can't overclock.

This happens even when I'm NOT overclocking the memory.

To add to this I ran 3DMark06 with SLI GTX 280 and scored just above ~14,000, whereas my 8800GTX SLI setup used to get ~15,000. I removed one of the GTX 280s and my score is now just above ~13,000. I have the 177.83 drivers for Vista 64 bits.

Anyone help please!???:bang head

Long shot ---- you're showing a pencil mod. Has that gotten partially broken or somehow screwed up with the water installation?

Actually forgot to update that, but the new RMA board has no pencil mod...

WTF!!! So,

I installed a water cooling loop which has my CPU and NB in it. I absolutely cannot overclock now. I don't know what's going on but every time I try to overclock my computer starts locking up and doesn't even POST properly.

I had a 750i FTW that I RMAed because of some problems, but before those problems I was on stock air cooling and I got my E8400 easily to 4GHZ (and up to 4.4) Now I can't even fully post at 3.6!!!

Now that I pay more attention to your original post, you've had the original RMA'ed board OCed to 4G but not this new one?

Did you add the water cooling at the same time you changed boards? If that is the case, the new board could have problems too. Also if that is the case, how are you going about the OC? Jumping to 4G or working your way up as if you had no idea what kinda overclock you would get?

Sorry but I'm confused. :beer:

Described the symptoms to an EVGA rep and they decided to do another RMA... lame. Except they're doing an advanced rma which means i get the new one before i ship the old one back!

Back