• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5E-VM HDMI - forgets multiplier setting ?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buckster

Registered
other than this problem - mobo is completely stable

have done a cmos reset before anyone asks

I'm overclocking a E8500 but before I had a E2180 with same problem

will transpire as follows ....set E8500 to say 8x450 - fine ... and fine for a day or so - but after a number of resets/reboots/or turn ons/offs - the multplier changes from 8 to default 9.5 !! - all other settings in the bios are unchanged apart from multipler

normally realise this when I find PC is not posting/booting ... why because now the Vcore I've set is way too low for 9.5 x450 but is fine for 8x450 ....

the even odder thing is say that I've set 8x450 as my "setting 1" in the bios, as a saved profile ... if I open up that profile, it loads up as 9.5 too !

so not only does the current saved bios settings change from x8 to 9.5 - but also all my saved settings ?!!

any ideas ?

yup - on latest 0506 ...

did it before and after bios update :( I did a CMOS reset after bios update too ...

can't work out what would make only one setting in the bios change ! - and then change the saved profiles too !

theres a thread over at hardforums in the SSF section on the p5e-vm hdmi. on one of the last pages of that thread there is a ftp link to a beta 0604 bios from asus. i would update to it. i did and it fixed all my problems i was having with this e8600.

Chinstrap - ta - will head over there and pick that up

thing is it did the same thing with me E2180 as well :( on the 0506 bios and the original bios that came with it

I can't even think of a failure mode where only one setting would get changed either ! its just so odd

this is a odd suggestion then... after the cmos clear, did you go in and tell it to set "safe mode defualts". then power the rig down, start back up then make your changes? i have seen some weird things in the past with a few rigs. esp when updating the bios didnt do it, seems to work in a few instances.

Back