• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

780i wont boot at all anymore...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kellygtp

ok so i hook up my front panel audio cable to the board, and then plug in my head set to the front panel audio connector on my antec 900 case and it boom shut off, system wont turn on i still have the blue led on up by the ram slots, but the system dosent turn on. I even tried the test power and reset switch on the actual board...im stumpped and really dont have any back up pc except my laptop.

any ideas???

ive unplugged the power to the board and re-seated, cleared the cmos, and still nothing.

In my experiences with problems like this the problem 9 times out of 10 was the PS. I recommend finding a PS of sufficient wattage and removing all unnecessary peripherals and seeing if it will boot at that point.

Most of these new motherboards protect themselves from bad power.

Give it a shot and report back

what i would do is "jump" the psu to turn on, ie the fan spins. if it does then the psu might be ok, i would still try another psu to make sure. after that i would say something on the board fried, if a new psu doesnt fix it.

what i would do is "jump" the psu to turn on, ie the fan spins. if it does then the psu might be ok, i would still try another psu to make sure. after that i would say something on the board fried, if a new psu doesnt fix it.

Afraid not bud, that is quite a bad idea. As I have said, I have seen MBs deliberately not start because something from the PS is raising a red flag to a safety on the board. If the PS is indeed bad then forcing the PS to start may very well damage the MB.

They put those safeties there for a reason. Just put a different PS in it (preferably new) and see if it starts.

Afraid not bud, that is quite a bad idea. As I have said, I have seen MBs deliberately not start because something from the PS is raising a red flag to a safety on the board. If the PS is indeed bad then forcing the PS to start may very well damage the MB.

They put those safeties there for a reason. Just put a different PS in it (preferably new) and see if it starts.

Afraid not bud, the "jump" the psu has nothing to do with the motherboard. as "jump" the psu is done when you remove all connections from the board and devices. then connect the "green" wire on the 20/24pin to a "ground" pin to turn on the psu. if you dont understand what im talking about please ask, dont assume.

its either the 4/8 pin connector on the psu is damage or the connector on the board now has a bad 4/8 pin in there.

if the lights are still lighting up the the psu still carries current, I would suggest jumping it to start it up bare and test each plug for proper power.

Also check that nothing is shorting anything out on the mobo .. I apparently had this problem with one of my 680i boards .. One morning it just wouldn't power on, everything (bar the mobo) tested fine and I tried running the mobo out of the case. I RMA'd the board and one of the guys frm Evga Europe (really great guys, although getting through the German switchboard to speak to them is .. interesting lol) rang and said it worked fine. They had dusted the board and his conclusion that some random metal particle had stuck to the board somewhere.

it fried the board...i have it ready for RMA shipping now...so for the meantime i went and got another board and im using that one as a temp board...

note to anyone...dont hook up AC' 97 and HD audio together...
that fried it...the whole bottom half of the board...

so ill have it back running and im now just gonna run extensions from the back audio panel to my headphones...screw this front panel stuff lol

Back