• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rethinking asus striker II extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orthomofo

Registered
i am beginning to rethink my previous selection of the asus striker II extreme. I need help deciding on alternatives. on paper the Striker II looks great, but i think it might be too buggy for my experience level. this is taking me forever to put things together because the only days i have to do this are my post call days when i'm shot and sleeping all day.

i like asus, i was happy with my prior asus mobo but is this mobo a swing and a miss?

i would really like the 790i setup with tri-sli compatibility and i really like the wc nb. not that i can't do it on my own after market, but its nice

need some guidance. my other options are the EVGA and XFX. i am pretty sold on the 790i ultra setup

-=-=-

little side-note:

one last question, what is the deal with the asus costing ~$100 more then the other 2?

so i called asus and asked what the deal was, why are they are so much more expensive. WOW useless response! they couldn't justify the price. the response i had was that i would have to look up the differences and justify the cost difference myself. you would think they would have an interest in saying our product has this, this, this and we do this... for our customers that the other guys don't. but no... apparently it is company policy not to talk about their competitors, which is fine i guess. even if you don't want to talk bad about them, you should at least say why yours is better, no? do you ever wonder who comes up with these policies?

Last edited:
asus striker II extreme is pretty good , but for overclocking i will not do with EVGA and XFX (790i) .

Evga 790i rocks man .

I have a Evga 790i ultra and 2x Evga 780i computers and have never had a problem with any of them .

The problem i have with the 790i ultra is there is no real speed difference to speak of between the e8600@ 4.0/790i/1600 mhz/ sli gtx280's and the [email protected]/780i/1150/ sli gtx280's .

Ive run mine side by side and only seen a max of 1 fps between the 2 computers .

So for me , in a way , it was kinda a waiste of money to buy the 790i setup .

My gaming/bench box is the [email protected]/780i/1175/ 2x Evga gtx280's .

Its faster in games than the 790i setup for some reason .

When i say overclocking i mean 550 FSB + .:) . This is what i meant , 790i suck on high FSB ,
But the memory ratio and performance in one of the best available

ASUS vs XFX vs EVGA

So, staying with the 790i ultra

is the asus better and does it warrant the extra ~$100, why/why not?

I have 2 differring opinions bt ZoomZ & makaka

The main reason i switch from Asus to Evga is customer suport .

Evga is so easy to deal with if you ever have problems .

IMO dealing with Asus is like pulling teeth .

I've RMA'ed with both ASUS and eVGA, no experience with XFX. While the ASUS costumer service folks were nice and easy to interface with, the turn around on replacement boards is slow (couple weeks min). I would take eVGA hands down to get it done in a reasonable time. :beer:

In the past with the 600 boards, eVGA and XFX were selling what is called reference design boards, i.e. they used a design that Nvidia developed and thus didn't have their own development costs. ASUS (I believe) developed their own design. I assume the same is still true now so that would mean some of the difference in cost is due to ASUS recovering their development costs. Is ASUS better, I've not done a count of posts but it seems folks can have trouble with any of the boards.

I too have re-thought my choice .. However I've decided to go with a completely different (and more stable) chipset .. I do love the 790i chipset, its one of my favourite to date for overclocking (especcially to the extreme .. mmm LN2) but for day-to-day it's just far to unstable.

If I were to go back to the 790i then I'd pick up Evga's 790i FTW .. Its a great improvement over the stock boards ..

From the Evga Site ...
  • Innovative chipset fan design directs airflow away from the graphics card.
  • Reach extreme overclocking speeds supporting 1600MHz FSB and beyond.
  • 8 phase power design for superb stability and performance.
  • Solid state capacitors and ferrite core chokes allow for better overclocking and stability.
  • Convenient layout with on-board Clear CMOS, Power, and Reset buttons.
  • Friendly system BIOS features with easy to use overclock and voltage settings.
  • Extreme DDR3 speeds of 2000MHz and beyond.

thanks dude

I too have re-thought my choice .. However I've decided to go with a completely different (and more stable) chipset .. I do love the 790i chipset, its one of my favourite to date for overclocking (especcially to the extreme .. mmm LN2) but for day-to-day it's just far to unstable.

If I were to go back to the 790i then I'd pick up Evga's 790i FTW .. Its a great improvement over the stock boards ..

From the Evga Site ...

dude, you have given me and others some good advice and i admit you sold me on the evga ftw. i was trying to convince myself to buy asus, but i keep seeing how buggy they were and i wasn't feeling the love like i did with evga's tech support. took the plunge and now i'm nearing completion. thanks anubis. hope this works out

Back