• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5q: where the heck do i plug in the sound wire from my dvd drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crimson1566

I can't seem to locate where to plug in the sound on the motherboard for the dvd drive. Anyone know?

I can't seem to locate where to plug in the sound on the motherboard for the dvd drive. Anyone know?

what for? if ripping or playing cd's you no longer need to use that jack/cable. windows will play music/dvd's sound striaght thru from the PATA or SATA cable.

looking at the P5Q manual from asus's site shows that:
page 2-2
#19 on the board which is a 4 pin connector. its on the bottom of the board to the left of the floppy connector. now if you close enough there is what looks like a 4 pin header but has 3 #21, that is for the digital output from the cd/dvd drive. i have never been able to find one of those cables,mainly the analog 4pin connector.

how about video games? this wire is no longer needed if i'm using a ide cable?

umm the only reason for that cable is to pass the cd-audio to the sound card. the sound for games goes directly to the sound card. unless your have a game that play music from the cd it self. i would find that odd with todays games since the last few games i have played have the music stored on the HD.

ok, i'm not using it then. thanks for the info. One last question if you don't mind, where would i plug in the fire wire adapter that came w/the mother board? in one of the usb plugs?

never mind, i've already used the 1394 port w/a connector from the computer case. guess i can only plug in one.

right your board only has one firewire port vs USB. usb is more widly used vs firewire...

Back