• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rampage Formula - Help me figure this crap out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Essenar

My friend has a Rampage Formula, I threw my Akasa cooler on it and tried to OC his Q9550.

I spent about 30 minutes, got it to 3.2ghz posting into Windows, tried to go furhter, it wouldn't post. I have no idea how to set the BIOS. It has SO MANY freaking options.

My Gigabyte is simple, 1.2ghz over-clock with no problems.

Have you read the stickies? If not, it's in my signature.

Offhand, there are VTT, MCH, nb/sb voltages for your motherboard. Increase the MCH by ~.0.02v and vtt slightly (1 step at the time, while monitoring temperatures).

Do check your RAM too. Make sure it passes memset otherwise you may face curruption of data.

First of all...its not crap...far from it...

Secondly...it will help if you post what settings you have gotten up too...and what you have left at auto...

Third...dont expect real high FSB on the quad...formula tops out at around 485 or so on quads...if you are trying for high FSB...then that might be the issue...

There are definitely tons of settings on this board. Glock is correct about the quads having problems achieving high FSB, however, the QX9650 LOVES this board and clocks very high.

This thread has good information about oc'ing this board.

I could help them if they post the info I requested...cant help if I dont know what has and has not been changed and tried...

And really...theres not that many options that truely need to be set...most of the options are memory settings options that dont need to be messed with...main things are the voltages and memory timings and FSB...like most older BIOS's...

I will say...when I first looked at the BIOS I was extrememly annoyed...but after reading the manual (first manual I had to actually read)...I had no issues with the BIOS...a few adjustments and I was up and flewing well past 500FSB on the 3110...

Here's the thing, I don't like "Auto" settings, because it gives me the idea they might go higher, might go lower. On my Gigabyte board, everything is set to ONE thing so I know it's rock solid stable. I've had my 2160 at 3.0 for about six months now. NEVER had it crash on me and the temps never touch 52C or higher.

It's not my board, so I can't post settings, but I'm going to his house tomorrow and I'll log onto the forum from his laptop so I can post up. Off hand I can tell you, I enabled that Vdroop thingy that regulates CPU Voltage, I set the NB voltage to 1.4, FSB to 385, memory multiplier to 2, Command rate to 2n, CPU voltage to 1.31, cpu multiplier to 8.5, PCI-E Frequency to 105. Those two options WAY at the bottom, I disabled both of them.

Have you read the stickies? If not, it's in my signature.

Offhand, there are VTT, MCH, nb/sb voltages for your motherboard. Increase the MCH by ~.0.02v and vtt slightly (1 step at the time, while monitoring temperatures).

Do check your RAM too. Make sure it passes memset otherwise you may face curruption of data.

Those are generic over-clocking settings. I know how to over-clock. I've been using Gigabyte boards for quite some time now. I know about VTT multiplier, FSB multiplier, FSB frequency, PCI-E frequency, CPU voltage, NB voltage, SB voltage, speedstep settings. I know a lot of the fundamentals about ram timing, but basic timing like CAS delay and latency. (5-5-5-15, etc) I know about ram voltage. I know the most I can get out of the FSB is 450 or so. We're not shooting for an extreme OC, but we'd like to hit 3.5 and I think that's a reasonable goal when you have a Q9550 on a Rampage.

I didn't mean crap as in the board, I mean crap as in the situation dealing with this board. I'm a very good builder and I just can't get this BIOS to play nice with me. I guess it's because I'm not a fan of auto settings, I don't like the idea of the BIOS changing things on the fly.

chawks2 said:
There are definitely tons of settings on this board. Glock is correct about the quads having problems achieving high FSB, however, the QX9650 LOVES this board and clocks very high.

This thread has good information about oc'ing this board.

Those are about the Maximus Formula. Is it the same board but just with DDR3 instead of DDR2?

I am not a big fan of auto settings either...thats why I was asking...and with the rampage...it tends to seriously overvolt in auto...

PM sent

You should always determine what the baseline voltages are on Auto. The Maximus Formula/Rampage Formula mobos both overvolt. Additionally, when you use certain voltages, you can subtract the difference based on the actual value, thus giving you the exact voltages. It is helpful when oc'ing to know this information.

Essenar said:
Those are about the Maximus Formula. Is it the same board but just with DDR3 instead of DDR2?

The MF/RF are basically the same board, the only difference is the chipset x38/x48. If you go on to read the thread more, I talk about flashing the BIOS of the x38 Maximus Formula and turning it into a Rampage Formula. It has it's benefits with stability/oc'ing, YMMV.

Follow this crazy thread at XS if you're interested.

PCI-E Frequency to 105.

Those are generic over-clocking settings. I know how to over-clock. I've been using Gigabyte boards for quite some time now. I know about VTT multiplier, FSB multiplier, FSB frequency, PCI-E frequency, CPU voltage, NB voltage, SB voltage, speedstep settings. I know a lot of the fundamentals about ram timing, but basic timing like CAS delay and latency. (5-5-5-15, etc) I know about ram voltage. I know the most I can get out of the FSB is 450 or so. We're not shooting for an extreme OC, but we'd like to hit 3.5 and I think that's a reasonable goal when you have a Q9550 on a Rampage.

I didn't mean crap as in the board, I mean crap as in the situation dealing with this board. I'm a very good builder and I just can't get this BIOS to play nice with me. I guess it's because I'm not a fan of auto settings, I don't like the idea of the BIOS changing things on the fly.

Just curious, why 105mhz? Good that you're experienced... If you're that good, try DFI ones. No sarcasm intended.

Could you help me with the Rampage Formula board please?

Ready to upgrade from my Asus Striker Extreme 680i to the
Rampage Formula and a Q9650 CPU.

I would greatly appreciate some knowledge on setting this board up right the fist time before pulling my hair out.

I have had my share of downs with the Striker Extreme but after finding the sweet spot settings,
so far a stable system for over a year now, but as time goes by, as i am a fanatic OCer i need new toys. LOL.

Thanks in advance.

I could help them if they post the info I requested...cant help if I dont know what has and has not been changed and tried...

And really...theres not that many options that truely need to be set...most of the options are memory settings options that dont need to be messed with...main things are the voltages and memory timings and FSB...like most older BIOS's...

I will say...when I first looked at the BIOS I was extrememly annoyed...but after reading the manual (first manual I had to actually read)...I had no issues with the BIOS...a few adjustments and I was up and flewing well past 500FSB on the 3110...

Okay guys, today's the day we over-clock. Can someone help me with some settings? I'm going to be accessing this page through the laptop.

Read post #4 in this thread. I have settings for the MRF/RF. The board loves E0 dual cores, it's not a big fan of the quads, unless you have a QX9650.

Back