• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which of these mb best for Q6600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

camcafe

Registered
Hello,

I have narrowed down to these motherboard for OC my Q6600 processor that fit within my budget. Which of this board should I get.

ASUS P5K PREMIUM/WIFI-AP
ASUS P5K PRO
GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L
BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7
MSI G33M-FI LGA 775
MSI P45 Neo-F
MSI P43 Neo3-F
Intel BOXDP35DPM

Thanks for any sugguestion before I buy it.

I would say the p5k premium but for 150 i think you should add another board to your list...

asus p5q variant

Full on 680i SLI ran my Q66 to 4.0GHz with the p32 bios. Ran 3.6 stable all day long. Very simple BIOS operation, and quite cheap nowadays. Same goes for the 780i. Nice boards.
Abit IP35 Pro has always been a favorite. Ditto on the price.
The new P5Q boards from Asus with the P45 chipset are a great value. I'd look into the P5Q Deluxe.

I currently use a Gigabyte X48T. It's fantastic, but expensive. The bios also took some getting used to. There are a few other good Gigabytes in the P45 and X48 flavors out this year that are doing quite well, I'd have a look at them.

Also, last years x38 stuff can be found for decent prices and are worth a look if you are interested in something a little more fancy. ie: ASUS P5E variants, Maximus Formula/Extreme. Gigabyte X38 DQ6 etc. etc.

Last edited:
the EP35-ds3l may not hold up while ocing a Quad core, it only carries a 3 phase pwm. you want a board with at least 4phase, for getting the most out of the quad you want 8 phase.

btw since no one bothered to ask, where are you located? since your board selection is missing P43/P45 boards from Biostar and gigabyte.

what phase is this counted as evil?

Quad-Triple Phase Power Design for ultimate system stability

quoted from gigabytes website

what phase is this counted as evil?

Quad-Triple Phase Power Design for ultimate system stability

quoted from gigabytes website
would have to look at the board... from the sounds of it, they are using 3 voltage regulators per phase. meaning it still has 4 pwm phases but slightly strong current ablilty then a 2 v-reg per phase board. Gigabyte does do this on some boards 2 v-regs per phase vs abit/asus with 3 v-reg per phase standard on lower end boards. i have how ever noticed asus starting to use 2 v-regs per phase on some boards. with out knowing Pn's of the v-regs it would be hard to tell if in the 2 regs per phase. if they are using higher current v-regs, most normal v-regs i see are 1.5amps in current. i have seen/read spec sheets on some able to supply up to 5amps.

I love Gigabyte boards, I have had 3 of them and all have worked flawlessly can’t say I know much about the other ones you mention but from my experience Gigabyte work very well ;) and overclock easily.

Last edited:
Why all the Asus hate?:confused:
Components from Asus bad quietly easy breakage does not last long, but what really baked my noodle was there on line ordering system for parts is messed up along with there tech support saying it was my fault for shipping problems even though I got a conformation letter saying it was being shipped to me.:eek:

Back