• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-965P-DS3P - how many PWM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
looks like it depends on the revision, looks like the newer ones have a lot more. They're just the mosfets around the socket area, typically the ones that line up behind the IO connectors I believe You could always buy one and look at the back side traces and see where they go.

Comparatively, the early revisions don't look to have as many as performance motherboards while the 3.3 has tons, and of course it looks like there's a version with the popular heatpipe sb,nb,mosfet cooler. (I remember when I put a big heatsink on my KX7-333 mosfets :cry:)

ive got a 3.3 just not near the board atm. so its the lil grey squares (about the size of a cough lollie)? 3=3pmw 6=6pwm?

found a pic can anyone help? looks to me that theres only 3 but theres also 3 above the CPU

Attachments

• motherboard_productimage_ga_965p-ds3p_3_3_big.jpg
    motherboard_productimage_ga_965p-ds3p_3_3_big.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 165
looks like one phase memory and 6 phase cpu. However gigabyte is notorius for having multiple mosfets per phase so it may actually be 3 phase cpu power.

ok so your current board has 6phases, now even though it has that many. ocing a quad core on that board will be challange. As the P965 boards dont have GTL control that P3x/P4x has. that is what you need for ocing a quad cores, along with cpuvtt. i can say for sure that P965 loves 45nm duallies.

now since you tring to clock a quad but a 65nm one, stick with the EP45. still 6phases like your current one so it wont be as limited as a 4phase board. still will let you get the most out of a quad core on air, maybe not water though... 6phase is one of those inbetween's, i would still prefer a board with 8 for a quad.

whats ur reasoning for the 45 over the x48?

P45 removes the 45nm quad core ocing fsb wall. X38/X48 is more for ocing Duallies to the max. if sticking with air cooling you could get the same oc's on either. what would really make the choice is what res will you gaming at? if its higher then 1920x1200 then go with X48, the x16/x16 in cf will make a difference. if its 1920x1200 or lower then P45's x16/x8 is more then enough for the job.

not to the same extent as 45nm but fsb is always more of an issue on quads then it is with duals. With that said I highly doubt that you will run into fsb issues on a chip with a unclock multiplier before the chip itself cant go further for other reasons. However you still want to be able to get a high of a fsb as possible so you dont slow down your system by using to high a multi

I am with Evilsizer here although for different reasons then he stated. Unless you want to really push that quad in chilled water or more extreme solutions with a crossfire setup a p45 would be best for your needs. If that is not your thing then just get whatever board will fulfill your needs the cheapest because they are quite similar on air. So long as you get a p45 board with 6 digital or 8 analog phases you should be good fsb overclocking wise and end up saving a ton of money over a x48 setup.

Last edited:
wasnt to fussed about the extra $100 so went with the x48. will definatly be running Xfire on a 27"-30" screen asap was one reason for it.

Plus will be getting a bit wet in the coming months so i can really push this chip. thanks for all the advice now to start a thread on wth is a GTL :) or moreso how to maximize it

I've been running a QX6700 at 400x8 on a Gigabyte EP35-DS3R for several months with no troubles, FWIW. I believe it's a 6-phase board, works great.

Back