• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI on X58?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There suppose to be sli on x58 but with use of nforce200. From reading nforce200 will be used on premium boards, in setups with more than 2 graphics cards. It comes down to this that nvidia has no sli board for new intel cpus and manufactures don't want put in nforce200. If that ought to happen AMD would make serious gains on Nvidia so, I guess Nvidia allowed SLI on intel boards without nforce200 chip. It's not sli didn't work Intel boards but required modified drivers to make it work.

Nvidia acquaintance will be the start of the new Bloomfield Intel CPU (Nehalem) does not have its own chipset have done - it would also be really no SLI for the Next-Gen GPU.

NVIDIA originally expected OEMs to use its nForce 200 chips to enable SLI support on X58, however we heard from the very start that most motherboard manufacturers weren’t going to use the nForce 200 + Intel X58 combination. If NVIDIA wanted to offer SLI on Nehalem, it would have to open it up to all X58 motherboards, otherwise AMD could actually gain a multi-GPU advantage by being the only multi-GPU technology natively supported by Nehalem.

Last edited:
If the NF200 chip is needed for Tri-SLI n that then I expect companies like Gigabyte, Asus and Foxcon will bring out premium enthusiast boards and charge excessive amounts for them .. In all this tho, it makes me think what's going to happen to nVidia's board partners like Evga and XFX, without a nVidia SPP/MCP they'll either have to sell just GPUs or embrace the X58 chipset .. Although I'd think they'd be two of the companies that integrate NF200 chips in

There suppose to be sli on x58 but with use of nforce200. From reading nforce200 will be used on premium boards, in setups with more than 2 graphics cards. It comes down to this that nvidia has no sli board for new intel cpus and manufactures don't want put in nforce200. If that ought to happen AMD would make serious gains on Nvidia so, I guess Nvidia allowed SLI on intel boards without nforce200 chip. It's not sli didn't work Intel boards but required modified drivers to make it work.

No manufactures wanted to use the nforce200 chips, thats why Nvidia has opened SLI for the X58. Any X58 board needs to be certified by Nvidia for SLI support, which will be enabled in the bios for the board. Afaik nforce200 is dead in the water.Edit: I was partially wrong here. Apparently if you want to use 3 16x slots you need the nforce200 chipset, otherwise it will run with one 16x and two 8x.

Also, it will support 2way and 3way sli, but not 4way, with the exception of two GX2;s.

Last edited:
I guess better earn a bit even without the nf200 before hydra makes their SLI obsolete.

That could very well be one of the factors that made them open SLI. Board manufactures would sure opt to put a Hydra chip on their boards over an nforce200 chip.

Back