• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5K Premium/WiFi vs Asus P5Q3 Deluxe @ Wifi-N

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andycorleone

Registered
Hi, I'm buiding a system a just was about to buy a:
Asus P5K Premium/WiFi when someone suggest the Asus P5Q3 Deluxe @ Wifi-N

I'm not sure If I'm going to benefi from the extra feactures:

PCI-E 2.0?
MEMORY ddr3 ? worth it?

I'm thinking in buying the follow RAM:

for the Asus P5K
OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-9200C5 1150MHz Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel DDR2
£61.09

for the P5Q3 Deluxe
OCZ 2GB DDR3 PC3-10666C6 1333MHz ReaperX (2x1GB) Dual Channel DDR3 £111.61 i

at the moment I have an 8800 GTX

an a seasonic 600 watts PSU

and Thinking in buying a Q6600

is going to be water cooled and overclocked all the time so I'm expeting speeds of about 3.7mhz

I'm going to see huge benefinit for paying about £100 ($200) extra in total?

What do you do with your machine? Doesn't sound like you need ddr3 or pci-e 2.0.

edit: please list your specs including your monitor

HI I'm doing a lot of video editing and Playing some games like COH :)

SyncMaster 940BW (thinking in buying a LG W2252TQ)
600 Watt Seasonic S12-600 ATX PSU
Palit 8800 GTX

CPU thinking in buying Q6600 "Guaranteed to run at 3.30GHZ (1466FSB)"
Memory one of the OCZ Reaper

Last edited:
The water Cooling that I'm thinking in buying is:

EK Supreme Acetal
EK Water Blocks EK-FC8800
EK Water Blocks EK-NB/SB ASUS 4 - Clear
Laing DDC1+ Ultra 18W
XSPC Bay Reservoir Black
XSPC RS360 120mm Radiator - Black

BTW
I have at the moment a
Intel Core 2 DUO E6400 "LGA775 Allendale" 2.13GHz
in a
Gigabyte GA_965P_DS4

But I really wanted more speeds in my renders and compressions when doing the video editing

I think you'd be fine with the P35 (P5K) model. Would save you a bunch of money by not requiring DDR3. DDR3 really doesn't yet offer tangible benefits worth the price outside of benchmarks. If you plan on upgrading to a Nehalem or later system, though, you'll likely be forced to upgrade to DDR3. It will probably be cheaper in the future, though, also, so upgrading "early" to be "ready" doesn't really make sense. Go with the P5K, you'll be fine.

thanks what about the Asus P5Q Deluxe is going to cost £22 ($44) more, worth it over the P5K Premium?

You probably won't notice a difference between those boards. Considering your gfx card and display I wouldn't worry about pci-e 2.0 much unless you want to upgrade this same system over the next few years.

So, my advice is stick with the p5k but you can't go wrong with either choice. You might also try and find the p5q-e which is a bit cheaper than the deluxe but doesn't sacrifice much in the way of features.

I just got the Asus P5Q3 Deluxe/Wifi the other day and it's working sweet.

If you do get it, forget about OCZ memory. The last bios update is supposed to fix the incompatibility issues with it, but I'd stear clear just in case.

I got my E8400 to 3.915 on 435 FSB on all auto voltages with it. I have to start tweaking it now to get it higher.

It's a good board and the WiFi was nice. I was installing it on the dining room table and just used the Wifi connection to jump on the net and get the new bios etc.

I bought it because I already had DDR3 ram(Kingston 1600 MHz) and I thought it was the best solution for me since it runs my 4870X2 fine and I don't plan on going Xfire anytime soon. If I did, since it is PCI-E 2.0, you won't lose out on much even when they are running at 8x 8x in Xfire. The price was like $219 on Newegg.

I just got the Asus P5Q3 Deluxe/Wifi the other day and it's working sweet.

If you do get it, forget about OCZ memory. The last bios update is supposed to fix the incompatibility issues with it, but I'd steer clear just in case.

I came across something today...
I can't remember where I saw it, so I'll need to go through the cache on my personal laptop at work.

Basically though, you CAN use OCZ on that board; you just need the right settings. I'll find them tomorrow and edit this post.

just wanted to drop a FYI, just in case it was in anyones mind about the OCZ memory and a P5k Deluxe Wifi.

currently using this mobo, and memory with no problems. about 10 months solid so far

i also have a p5k deluxe wifi, the board is a monster! I think it might be a little better at ocing then this board, but shhh. this one handles 4 dimms better, and doesnt kill d9gmh :)

edit:

my p5k chews thru gmh like a... never mind ;)

Last edited:
Back