• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madas1

Registered
Hi everyone, i am upgrading my cpu and motherboard.my question is whats a good mainboard cpu combo,the cpu iam getting is intel E8600 and il be overcloking it,the guy at the pc store said tha this asus board is good anough for this cpu, Asus P5N-D,any help would be apreciated and also i have 2 gig of patriot viper ram pc2 8500 that runs at 1066mhz.

:welcome: to the forums!

Now, down to business ;) Any X48 board would be the most ideal when overclocking a dual however, I'd avoid the Nvidia chipset altogether unless you are intent on SLI versus CF. The retailer pc store guy was right, the board mention is just good enough for a semi decent overclock, however, if you want to really see what that chip will do, I'd recommend an X48 board. I'm actually trading up from a p35 based board to an Asus Maximus Rampage x48 in order to unlock my CPU's potential.

Why no Nvidia? I had one Nvidia based board and hear alot of the same of what I saw first hand, they don't overclock for crap.

The 1066 Ram will work great choice as you'll be able to OC and still have some headroom to play with.

Yes, as OldSkool said ---- :welcome::welcome:. Glad to have you join us.

I would suggest either a P45 or X48 chipset board based on your needs. The X48 chipset is an excellent one that allows top level Crossfire video if you are considering that. Otherwise I would suggest the P45 chipset as a cheaper but still high-class board that doesn't carry the high speed Crossfire capability (it does however still do Crossfire at a respectable speed).

Brands are a little like football teams. Yes I like ASUS (I'm running one) but Gigabyte also is excellent. DFI and MSI are favorites for some.

If you go ASUS, I would recommend sticking with the P5Q family of boards that use the P45 chipset. Several choices there that range in price from ~105 to ~260 (Newegg $). Which one is dependent on the features you want.

Agree with OldSkool totally about your memory speed choice. 1066 will sever you well.

Enjoy! :beer:

e8600

yes iam not gonna use sli at all,this is the board they have also in stock P5E Deluxe

P5Q-deluxe is an excellent board. Got one that should be delivered today, wish the truck would hurry. :bang head

The P5N-D is a Nvidia chipset board (SLI capable) and as OldSkool is suggesting, I would avoid it at this point.

k the P5Q-deluxe and the

P5E Deluxe and the price difference is about 30 dollars so o think il be getting the

P5E Deluxe with intel x48 chipset and i forgot to say that my vid card is nvidia 8800gt and iam will not be using either crosfire or sli.

The 8800GT is still a very nice GPU, mine runs Crysis on high very well. I'm not sure of the exact fps, I keep forgetting to start Fraps when playing, lol, but I'm satisfied with that until i finish my new build.

One question I'd ask is, what kind of cooling solution are you using? I know the Northbridge in the X48s can get a bit hot. Personally, I'm going to build a custom dual w/c loop for my CPU/GPU and NB when I build mine.

P5Q-deluxe

Good choice, mine is a week old and running fine.

After I finish my current work unit folding, I'm going to see if I can push the CPU higher. Then next I'll drop the CPU multiplier and see how high the FSB will go.

Let us know how your setup is working when you get to that point. Enjoy! :beer:

I got a zalman cnps9700 cpu cooler but iam not sure it will work on this new intel board and cpu,i had it installed on my amd 64 dual core 6000+ system,iam hoping that i can still use it on my new system.aslso have a gpu cooler from zalman on my vid card and my case does have discent cooling.

yes i did keep the 775 brackethttp://www.ocforums.com/oc_images/images/smilies/smile.gif,il let you know how my built is coming as soon as i get my stuff i the end of the week and thx for all the replys i apreciated.

Back