• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with Asus P5K Premium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gyruss

I have an Asus P5K Premium board with 2 x 2Gb DDR2 (OCZ2P10664GK) and
Q6600 2.4Ghz CPU. The board detected the ram as 800mhz and the timing where not the ones that are specified to this modules. I set in the bios the correct settings but the problem I'm having is that when I turn on the PC i get and Overclocking Failed message. Attached are the settings and the error I'm getting. After that I go to the bios, save the same settings and the computer boot up without a problem. This problem only happens when i turn off the PC and then turn on. I'm using the lastest bios. I had tried setting the DRAM voltage to 2.00 instead of 2.10 as recomended by OCZ but it have the same result as before. If I setup everything to auto I have no problems but the ram is detected as 800mhz with the wrong timings. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,422
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,458
  • IMG_1402.JPG
    IMG_1402.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,393
If I setup everything to auto I have no problems but the ram is detected as 800mhz with the wrong timings.

The fact that you have 2 x 2GB of RAM installed, and trying to run it at it's rated 1066 MHz w/ a 65nm quad installed is a problem. In order to run it at it's rated speed at an FSB of 266 MHz results in a NB strap of 200/800 (1:2), which isn't the best divider to run w/ a quad. When set to AUTO the BIOS defaults the strap to 266/800 (2:3) which is 800 MHz, and one of three optimized strap settings for the 65nm quad. You can either run it at 800 MHz w/ tighter timings and less Vdimm, or increase the FSB and loosen the timings... for example at 266 FSB / 800 MHz 5-4-4-15 and 1.9 Vdimm, or 400 FSB and a 333/800 strap (5:6) at 960 MHz and 5-5-5-15 / 2.0-2.1 Vdimm.

You can either run it at 800 MHz w/ tighter timings and less Vdimm, or increase the FSB and loosen the timings... for example at 266 FSB / 800 MHz 5-4-4-15 and 1.9 Vdimm, or 400 FSB and a 333/800 strap (5:6) at 960 MHz and 5-5-5-15 / 2.0-2.1 Vdimm.

Thanks. I will try this and report back.

Well I tried those settings and I still having almost the same results. Sometimes I get the "overclocking failed" message and the rest of the times the computer turn off after 1 second and then after 3 second it turn on automatically and boots ok.

gyruss said:
Well I tried those settings and I still having almost the same results. Sometimes I get the "overclocking failed" message and the rest of the times the computer turn off after 1 second and then after 3 second it turn on automatically and boots ok.
Post the last settings you tried that failed...
Code:
JumperFree Configuration Settings
CPU Ratio Setting :
FSB Strap North Bridge :
FSB Frequency :
PCI-E Frequency :
DRAM Frequency:
Dram Command Rate
DRAM Timings:-
CAS# Latency:
RAS# to CAS# Delay:
RAS# Precharge:
RAS# Activate to Precharge:
TWR: 
TRFC: 
TWTR: 
TRRD:
TRTP:
DRAM Static Read Control: 
Transaction Booster:
Cpu Voltage:
Cpu GTL Voltage reference:
CPU Spread Spectrum: 
PCIE Spread Spectrum: 
CPU Voltage:
CPU Voltage Reference:
DRAM Voltage: 
Clock Over-charging mode:
Cpu spread spectrum:
Pcie spread spectrum:

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Setting
C1E Suppport
Max CPUID Value Limit:
Vanderpool Technology:
CPU TM Function:
Execute Disable Bit

Last edited:
These are the last settings:

Attachments

• latest1.jpg
    latest1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,256
  • latest2.jpg
    latest2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,239
Instead of posting screenshots of the BIOS settings, please use the template I provided. When I post a reply, I need to be able to scroll down through the thread to reference your settings, and I can't do that when you post screenshots... as they don't show up in the "Reply to Thread" screen.

Referencing Post #1, manually set CPU Voltage to 1.3v (I need to know the VID of your CPU in order to give you a more accurate Vcore setting). Set NB Voltage to AUTO, disable CPU Spread Spectrum and PCIE Spread Spectrum, set FSB Termination Voltage to 1.5-1.55v, set PCIE Frequency to 100, manually set FSB Strap to North Bridge to 200/800 (1:2), and enable Load-Line Calibration.

Instead of posting screenshots of the BIOS settings, please use the template I provided.

Sorry about the screenshots. This is the settings I'm using now. With this settings the computer turn off after 1 second and then turn on automatically after 3 second and boots ok. No overclocking failed message yet.
Code:
CPU Ratio Setting : 9.0
FSB Strap North Bridge : 200
FSB Frequency : 266
PCI-E Frequency : 100
DRAM Frequency: 887
Dram Command Rate: Auto
DRAM Timings
CAS# Latency: 5
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4
RAS# Precharge: 4
RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15
TWR: Auto
TRFC: Auto
TWTR: Auto
TRRD: Auto
TRTP: Auto
DRAM Static Read Control: Enabled
Transaction Booster: Auto
Cpu Voltage: 1.3
Cpu GTL Voltage reference: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum:  Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum:  Disabled
CPU Voltage Reference: Auto
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.5
DRAM Voltage: 1.9
Clock Over-charging mode: Auto
Load-Line Calibration: Enabled

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Setting: 1.9
C1E Suppport: Enabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Vanderpool Technology: Enabled
CPU TM Function: Enabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled

I think he needs to change the boot strap frequency. I think it should be set to 266 and not Auto. IF there is an option for 533 that would be exactly what he needs to get the RAM at the correct speed.

Z

Exactly... his current strap is 200/667 (3:5) = 886.6 MHz @ 266 FSB, so he would need to change it to 200/800 (1:2) to achieve a DRAM Freq. of 1064 MHz. Also change your Primary timings to 5-5-5-15 at 1064 MHz, and leave all the sub-timings on AUTO for the time being. After changing the NB strap (DRAM speed), FSB, or multiplier... it's normal for the PC to power down after saving and exiting the BIOS, and then starting back up a few seconds later w/ your saved settings.

I think he needs to change the boot strap frequency. I think it should be set to 266 and not AutoZ

Is boot strap frequency the same as FSB Strap North Bridge?

Exactly... his current strap is 200/667 (3:5) = 886.6 MHz @ 266 FSB, so he would need to change it to 200/800 (1:2) to achieve a DRAM Freq. of 1064 MHz. Also change your Primary timings to 5-5-5-15 at 1064 MHz, and leave all the sub-timings on AUTO for the time being.

Asuming boot strap frequency is the same as FSB Strap North Bridge I changed it from 200 to 266 and set the timings to 5-5-5-15. I changed the DRAM Freq. to 800 and get the overclocking failed. Then I changed the DRAM Freq. to 1066 and got the same result.

Sorry about the screenshots. This is the settings I'm using now. With this settings the computer turn off after 1 second and then turn on automatically after 3 second and boots ok. No overclocking failed message yet.
Code:
FSB Strap North Bridge : Auto
FSB Frequency : 333
DRAM Frequency: 833
Dram Command Rate: 2T
DRAM Timings
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5
RAS# Precharge: 5
DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled
Transaction Booster: Enabled
Boost: 0
Cpu Voltage: 1.3-1.4
FSB Termination Voltage: Auto
DRAM Voltage: 2.1

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Setting: 9
C1E Suppport: Disabled

See if this works. If it does then we can try to tighten your timings up next, or we can go for higher CPU clock.

*Edit:
There really is no reason to run your RAM at 1066 if you're nor going to OC the CPU. I think a common mistake people make is they see the rated FSB speed on the CPU (the Q6600 has a rated FSB speed of 1066), and they automatically assume they need RAM running that fast. The truth is that multipliers and DDR are in effect. The actual FSB is 266MHz, but it is quad-pumped to 1066 due to the number of lanes on the board. RAM is rated at it's dual-data-rate (DDR) speed instead of it's actual speed. DDR2-1066 actually runs at 533MHz.

If you want to match up your actual FSB w/ your actual RAM speed you only need DDR2-533 for a 1066 CPU. This will have you running in a 1:1 ratio. DDR2-667 will allow you to OC to 333FSB and still run 1:1 w/o OCing your RAM at all. DDR2-800 will allow you to go up to 400FSB and still be in your RAM's spec. DDR2-1066...well I think you can see where I'm going.

Basically, DDR2-1066 is way overkill for your system unless you do some serious OCing, and even then on the Q6600 you're not going to get much more than 475FSB and will still have to use a memory divider to take advantage of the faster RAM. And even then you won't see a very noticeable improvement in performance over running your RAM a bit slower.

Oh, and you have a P5K-Premium...a very good OCing board (I have 1 myself). Please don't waste all that potential power by running your CPU stock!

Last edited:
See if this works. If it does then we can try to tighten your timings up next, or we can go for higher CPU clock.
Code:
FSB Frequency : 333
DRAM Frequency: 833
Dram Command Rate: 2T
DRAM Timings
DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled
Transaction Booster: Enabled
Boost: 0
Cpu Voltage: 1.3-1.4
DRAM Voltage: 2.1

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Setting: 9

First of all thanks to everyone that are trying to help me.
Jason, I tried those settings today but I get the overclocking failed message at boot.

Hmmm...strange.

Have you tested your RAM w/ memtest? Make sure to disable legacy USB support before running memtest. This mobo will throw errors otherwise.

Hmmm...strange.

Have you tested your RAM w/ memtest? Make sure to disable legacy USB support before running memtest. This mobo will throw errors otherwise.

Yes. I had tested w/ memtest with no errors and haven't disabled USB before testing.

set your ram at the lowest setting you can in bios with the strap on auto that should be 1:1 ratio with cpu
Rich

Well, the lowest setting for the ram is 533. I tried that with strap on auto and it gave me overclocking failed. The settings that seems to work with the only thing that after turning on the computer its turn off automatically and after 3 to 4 seconds turn on without the overclocking failed message is this:
Code:
CPU Ratio Setting : Auto
FSB Frequency : 266
PCI-E Frequency : Auto
DRAM Frequency: Auto
Dram Command Rate: Auto
DRAM Timings
RAS# Activate to Precharge: 18
DRAM Static Read Control: Auto
Transaction Booster: Auto
Cpu Voltage: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum:  Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum:  Auto
DRAM Voltage: 1.9
Load-Line Calibration: Auto

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Setting: Auto

Hmm, this might be a dumb question, but have you got the latest bios? I'm starting to notice that the board will run stock no problems, the minute you start to oc it you get the "overclock failed" error.

Another thing is you tested the ram with memtest and it passed. Did you check each stick individually? How long did you run memtest on each stick?

What power supply are you using with this setup?

Do you clear cmos after each failure or do you let it reset itself back to defaults?

Back