• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the difference between these two types of 2400ddr ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

There are two types of Corsair 256mb 2400DDR. Both can be found here: http://www.corsairmicro.com/main/products.htm

The two models are CM64SD256-2400C2 , and CM64SD256-2400C2H .
My question is what is the difference between these two type of memory and which one should i get? the H one is more expensive. I am going to oc a unlocked 1900+ w/ a Shuttle Ak3.1 . Thanks for the help.

Ahh... thats what I get for looking at their spec sheet instead of scrolling to the bottom of the page where you find this.

Note: Part numbers ending in "H" have an integrated aluminum heat spreader.

damn expensive

damn the one w/ the heatspreader is wicked expensive! cheapest is $119 for 256mb on pricewatch! Do i really need the heatspreader? is it worth it? Or should i just get a stick of 512mb Crucial 2100 DDR and overclock it to cas2 and such for around $150. Or should i get the memory without the heatspreader cause that is $80 dollars on pricewatch which is only $10 more for two sticks of it than it is for one stick of Crucial.

Any suggestions?

Thermaltake heatspreaders are about $10 at any good cooling store. Or you can get the Active model that comes with a fan on top of the heatspreader for about $15. Save some money and put your own heatspreaders on.

Also, if you goal is to overclock, in my experience you can always overclock more when using only one stick. So if you want the best performance, the Crucial 512MB would be the better deal, IMHO. Slap on an Active Ram Cooler and you'll be set.

cool

ok you convinced me, i will get a stick of 512mb crucial 2100 and set it at CAS2 and try my luck overclocking it. Are heatspreaders easy to install cause i have absolutly no experience installing them. http://www.plycon.com/heatsink.htm can you reccomend a good heatspreader on that page?

Go with the ThermalTake Active Memory Cooling Kit for $14.99. It is very easy to attach. It includes two strips of thermal tape that you apply to the heatspreader then just stick em on the chips. The only thing you need to watch for is that you don't put them so low that they interfere with putting the ram in the board.

Back