• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel next generation architecture “LGA 1366” platform - GIGABYTE X58-EXTREME

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

windwithme

Still remember LGA 775 architecture is long life product line in Intel products.
After P4 transited to LGA775 about one year, Intel C2D processors become the best selling series and make the LGA775 is hot selling.

Recall my memory, it’s been over 2 years that C2D and LGA775 are announced.
As per Intel behavior, it’s time to change to the new architecture.
Early this year, there are many rumors about LGA1366 chipset and processor. Finally, we could see more detail now.

This time I got is GIGABYTE latest product GA-X58-EXTREME. EXTREME is GIGABYTE new series for Overclockers since P45.

GIGABYTE GA-X58-EXTREME
gx5801zc1.jpg

gx5802ih2.jpg

Left-Down corner
2 X PCIE X16
2 X PCIE X8
2 X PCIE X4
1 X PCI
As usual, Intel X series chipset can support ATI CrossFire.
This time we also heard X58 might support nVIDIA SLI technology.
In the future, we may can see X58 motherboard integrated both GPU features.
gx5803as1.jpg

Right-Down corner
6 X SATAII(ICH10R)
1 X IDE
EXTREME series have Power/Reset and Debug LED
gx5804bf4.jpg

Right-Up corner
6 X DIMM DDR3, not same as old Intel 4xDIMM design.
In X58, it can support 6x DIMM DRAM slots
gx5805wo1.jpg

Left-Up corner
Even personally I think 4 phase PWM is enough for LGA 775.
This time GIGABYTE uses 6 phase PWM, but not 12 phase with LGA 775.
Does that mean LGA1366 is more power saving?
gx5806jd6.jpg

IO Interface
8 X USB 2.0
2 X RJ-45 LAN
1 X S/PDIF
1 X 1394
Silver button is Clear COMS
gx5807ek1.jpg

GA-X58-EXTREME high texture thermal module
gx5808qk8.jpg

gx5809fc8.jpg

Intel next generation LGA 1366 socket
gx5810ig2.jpg

X58 spec might be changed as final released, ex: 10 SATAII, and more LAN ports, etc. Just wait for the released version.
Even thought I don’t like to change CPU, but LGA has been in the market for 3 years.
If LGA1366 can bring more technologies, higher performance and multi-core/channel system, I am looking forward to it

how are you supposed to hold the cpu in place? it doesn't have a "cassing" or is it meant to be used for LN2

thanks for the run down WIND! :beer:
I hope to see some Neha action on this board soon.

how are you supposed to hold the cpu in place? it doesn't have a "cassing" or is it meant to be used for LN2

well if you see the 4 inner "holes" it looks like some type of hold-down, we now have to bolt/pin around the cpu first. then mount the HS to with the four outer holes.

well if you see the 4 inner "holes" it looks like some type of hold-down, we now have to bolt/pin around the cpu first. then mount the HS to with the four outer holes.

like with lga775 there is a standard retention braket. However unlike the lga 775 this one is easily removable and screws right off. I dont know why he didnt have one on this mobo thats anyones guess. However we will certainly see a retention braket like the following on the final product.

thenewnehalemssocketlgaed3.jpg

thanks for the run down WIND! :beer:
I hope to see some Neha action on this board soon.

yeah but what i don't get is why doesn't it come with it? is there a particular case where it is better without it?

extreme cooling situations where removing it would allow for easier insolation and also cooling of chips with removed IHS where the mounting bracket sits higher then the exposed core.

All of the other pics I have seen of this mobo have had the braket on them so I have no clue why this one doesnt have one.

Yea, I would imagine it was just removed to get a better shot of the socket. They all have to come with a retention mechanism one way or the other.

Back