• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZTechnology or Corsair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

Is there a difference between these two types of 2400DDR? The OCZ is cheaper on pricewatch. Which one is a better buy? is the corsair higher quality and will allow for higher overclocks? the lowest price for a stick of 256mb or corsair is $81 dollar w/o shipping and it is $69 for the OCZ. I am running a Shuttle AK3.1.
Any help would be appreciated as would comments from people who have either types of the 2400ddr. Thanks (btw, i am going to be purchasing two sticks of them)

I heard ocz wasnt a really good overclocker. I would probably go with the corsair. I've heard its pretty good. I have crucial in mine but i bought it back when memory was real cheap.

Emericana said:
Is there a difference between these two types of 2400DDR? The OCZ is cheaper on pricewatch. Which one is a better buy? is the corsair higher quality and will allow for higher overclocks? the lowest price for a stick of 256mb or corsair is $81 dollar w/o shipping and it is $69 for the OCZ. I am running a Shuttle AK3.1.
Any help would be appreciated as would comments from people who have either types of the 2400ddr. Thanks (btw, i am going to be purchasing two sticks of them)
For what type of CPU is this (yes, it does matter)?

XP

I have an unlocked Athlon XP 1900+ w/ a Shuttle Ak3.1 mobo and a 400wat antec powersupply in a LianLi case

As an ex-OCZ owner, I can assure you, OCZ sucks a big one. Stay away from it if you can. I had the OCZ PC3000 and it wouldn't do over 145. If I were you, I'd get Crucial PC2100. You are currently looking at PC2400 RAM which runs at 150MHz. I have yet to find a stick of Crucial that will not do 150+. My stick will do 160, and my friends will even hit 167! This is of coarse at CL2 with the fastest timings. I believe that it is just as good as Corsair and definately leaps and bounds ahead of OCZ, plus it is cheaper. Or, if you want the best, get the Kingmax PC2700 5ns.

herbal'|' said:
As an ex-OCZ owner, I can assure you, OCZ sucks a big one. Stay away from it if you can. I had the OCZ PC3000 and it wouldn't do over 145. If I were you, I'd get Crucial PC2100. You are currently looking at PC2400 RAM which runs at 150MHz. I have yet to find a stick of Crucial that will not do 150+. My stick will do 160, and my friends will even hit 167! This is of coarse at CL2 with the fastest timings. I believe that it is just as good as Corsair and definately leaps and bounds ahead of OCZ, plus it is cheaper. Or, if you want the best, get the Kingmax PC2700 5ns.

Out of one time experience I think that is not a good answer.. I have pc2400 ocz and my goes up to 148fsb.. I have both crucial and ocz and also kingmax all 3 are nice. I bought the ocz its cheap and works just as good if not better then crucial..

You are the first person I've come in contact witht that actually likes their OCZ. The majority of the people who have used their RAM are not happy with it. I didn't speak of this before because I can not speak for someone else. Also, most of the people I spoke with used the PC2700 or PC3000. I haven't read that much about the lower models, so I guess OCZ could be capable of producing decent PC2400. My OCZ PC3000 did come close to PC2400 speeds. You say that your OCZ PC2400 goes up to 148, but the PC2400 spec is 150. If it maxes out at 148, then it is not good PC2400. Crucial is PC2100, and mine hits 160 easy. That is much better than 148, I'd say. I'm still not really understanding why you are happy with your OCZ, from what you've told me it maxes out under spec and performs well under my cheaper and lower timed Crucial.

herbal'|' said:
You are the first person I've come in contact witht that actually likes their OCZ. The majority of the people who have used their RAM are not happy with it. I didn't speak of this before because I can not speak for someone else. Also, most of the people I spoke with used the PC2700 or PC3000. I haven't read that much about the lower models, so I guess OCZ could be capable of producing decent PC2400. My OCZ PC3000 did come close to PC2400 speeds. You say that your OCZ PC2400 goes up to 148, but the PC2400 spec is 150. If it maxes out at 148, then it is not good PC2400. Crucial is PC2100, and mine hits 160 easy. That is much better than 148, I'd say. I'm still not really understanding why you are happy with your OCZ, from what you've told me it maxes out under spec and performs well under my cheaper and lower timed Crucial.

sorry i ment cas 2 148 cas 3 it will hit 157 stable cruscil i had same computer stable a cas 2 at 145 and cas 3 its 150 so.. I might be just lucky but i have read the same article were it say that ocz itsn't using the right ram and or they are sending out slower ns when saying its really a lower ns..

wolfsid said:

sorry i ment cas 2 148 cas 3 it will hit 157 stable cruscil i had same computer stable a cas 2 at 145 and cas 3 its 150 so..

My Crucial will do 160 Cas 2 with Turbo Ram Timings, so you just helped prove my point. OCZ is inferior. OCZ uses the same chips in all their sticks. They use 7.5ns in the PC2100, PC2400, PC2700, and PC3000. I've talked to the people at OCZ Tech and verified this. That's why I sold me PC3000 the day after I got it. Crucial PC2100 also uses these exact same chips. You must've got a bad stick of Crucial, usually they perform much better.

herbal'|' said:

My Crucial will do 160 Cas 2 with Turbo Ram Timings, so you just helped prove my point. OCZ is inferior. OCZ uses the same chips in all their sticks. They use 7.5ns in the PC2100, PC2400, PC2700, and PC3000. I've talked to the people at OCZ Tech and verified this. That's why I sold me PC3000 the day after I got it. Crucial PC2100 also uses these exact same chips. You must've got a bad stick of Crucial, usually they perform much better.

umm i have that same chip as you and never got near that high .. please explan what chip and make you have
:cool:

It's just the standard Crucial PC2100 7.5ns CAS2.5. I bought it about 6 months ago, mine is actually a little lower performer than most Crucial I've seen. My friend has a stick just like mine that will do 167, I've even heard of them hitting 170+, this is all at CAS2 of coarse. I guess it's just the luck of the draw. You have to up the VDimm to hit this speed, but I assume you did that already. I bought the Kingmax because it has true 5ns chips which are made to run at 166, therefore they should overclock much more than chips that are made to run at 133.

herbal'|' said:
It's just the standard Crucial PC2100 7.5ns CAS2.5. I bought it about 6 months ago, mine is actually a little lower performer than most Crucial I've seen. My friend has a stick just like mine that will do 167, I've even heard of them hitting 170+, this is all at CAS2 of coarse. I guess it's just the luck of the draw. You have to up the VDimm to hit this speed, but I assume you did that already. I bought the Kingmax because it has true 5ns chips which are made to run at 166, therefore they should overclock much more than chips that are made to run at 133.

I have a set of kingmax laying around somewhere... nice chips but i never thought of 167 or 170 i was happy at 155 but i guess i need to try better..:D

Back