• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CL 2 and CL2.5 Huh?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f155mph

What does that mean? I am looking to get some DDR. I saw some OCZ 2700 2.5 for $80 256mb and OCZ 2 for $75 256mb. Which one is better? Or should I look for some other brand of memory.

I have seen mixed results with ocz memory some like it some do not.
If you like taking chances then it might be right for you, if you want solid memory consider crucial 2100 its still about the best stuff out there and if you get a bad stick its easy to get a replacement.

cas = column address strobe.
cas 2 means the memory needs to wait 2 clock cycles before beginning a burst of data,2.5 the wait is 2 1/2 clock cycles so cas 2 is a little faster.

i have ecc, error correction code?, how does that work, is it good, overclockable, tell me more!, please can u tell me what to set my bios to correct, check, correct and scrub etc?

inkleoneaters said:
i have ecc, error correction code?, how does that work, is it good, overclockable, tell me more!, please can u tell me what to set my bios to correct, check, correct and scrub etc?

I never get tired of helping to answer these questions about basic memory memory things, because I remember when I came here knowing nothing, and how I was so gently directed to the best site explaing CAS and ecc and other terms. I remember how great it felt to gain that knowledge- like a light came on at the far end of a dark room, illuminating all of the wonderful things inside, inviting me in to explore further...

Follow the link and you too can say "Yatta!"

f155mph said:
What does that mean? I am looking to get some DDR. I saw some OCZ 2700 2.5 for $80 256mb and OCZ 2 for $75 256mb. Which one is better? Or should I look for some other brand of memory.

I can't leave this unsaid, STAY AWAY FROM OCZ! To put it bluntly, their products are crap. The chips they use are lower or sometimes equal quality to the Crucial PC2100, and this is on their PC3000 versions. IF you want to go for some top-quality ram, get the Kingmax 5ns PC2700. Even thought it is rated at CL2.5, I've read about 20 testimonials that have it running at 166+ at CL2, some even reacing 175 @ CL2. It contains true 5ns chips whereas the OCZ just has 7.5ns chips which sometimes can overclock to the speed they tell you it can. I had a PC3000 stick that wouldn't do over 145 at decent ram timings. Do yourself a favor and get some Kingmax, or if you want to save money, Crucial.

Back