• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR 2700 ram and front side bus question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

venkman

I just purchased a Soyo Dragon + motherboard and an Athlon XP 1700+ processor and 256 mb of DDR 2700 ram. In the bios I was trying to set the bus speed to 266 mHz which is what the XP is supposed to have. But, it only goes up to 133 and then there is an overclocking option under that. Is it only supposed to be at 133 for a 266 front side bus processor? I know this board supports 266 front side bus but I just can't set it to that. I was also told that 2700 DDR ram can be used for a 333 front side bus. What should I put the bus speed at and how much if it all should I overclock it.

Thanks for the help

John

Welcome to the forum, I would read the beginners guide on the front page to understand how FSB works. 133mhz FSB is running at 266, it is just doubled. So if you go over 133 that is O/Cin the FSB. Good Luck!

Yes it can be confusing. You can set your cpu host clock to 133, and if you have a ddr cpu, which you do, then as Trancebear said because the cpu works on both sides of the cycle then you could say the FSB is at 2x133 or fsb266. You overclock the fsb by bumping your cpu clock up.

This is a different OC than changing the multiplier for cpu frequency, of course. When you do that your only toying with the cpu; when you oc the fsb, you're oc'ing everything connected to it, for instance your ram & pci bus.
One of the great things about your board is it allows you some control over your ram and pci bus speeds. So you can oc your ram independantly of your fsb. Same with your pci bus, you can change the setting determining what percentage of fsb speed you'll run your pci bus at.

venkman,

are you having any instability issues running the 2700 with that MB? im having serious problems with mine. keeps resetting or crashing. trying to rule out the memory as the cause. have not found anyone else running this combination yet. was not sure if they were compatible. was told to use 2100 or 2400 and i would be fine. hate to find out i wasted money on something i can't use.
:rolleyes:

cazman

Back