• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTLREF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chewbears

Registered
What is it and what is it doing? I mean I read in the bios box what it is doing but for stabilizing an OC is this something you manually do or just leave on auto?

Thanks for the link. I searched GTLREF b.c GTL was too short. Thanks again !

With my 790i Ultra board it seems a little less straight forward after reading those right ups. Basically on my board it offers you Auto and then + or - volts per core. I am having some symptoms which are discussed in the article (ie I will prime 95 and only 1 of my cores will fail at ~2 hours but its random sometimes which one it is). So i have been increasing my volts. I do not see how decreasing my volts based on the charts would help me since I am going from 0 to +/-. Which on my board I am assuming is from some static value. I guess I really will have to read up more and do some more testing based on the knowledge provided in the write up.

However if anyone has a 790i Ultra that understands how our Bios uses the GTL on each CPU let me know. I wish I had the bios pages in the write up it seems to make more sense then + or - which I have in mine.

Here is a link with the picture of my bios page

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTIwNzU4MzYwMHVoYVJPSmpVSm1fM185X2wuZ2lm

EDIT: found the answer on the evga boards.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=518854&mpage=1&key=

above is the answer

Last edited:
This is how nVidia describes how its GTL Reference Voltage works...
“GTLVREF is used to adjust the input sample trigger point on Intel CPUs. Adjustments to this value can compensate for voltage drops that occur for some loading and traces. For example, GTLVREF can be lowered to account for voltage drops when tuning a quad-core CPU instead of a dual-core CPU. Quad-core CPUs typically put more loading on key interface signals, resulting in an average interface voltage drop.

GTLVREF is a fine-tuning device that can enable higher frequencies for some interfaces. A quad-core CPU needs two GTLVREF voltage settings; one is for the 4x signal (for FSB data transfer) and the other is for 2x/1x signal (for FSB addressing and control).

* GTLVREF0 -> FSB 4x data signal on core 0
* GTLVREF2 -> FSB 2x/1x address signal on core 0
* GTLVREF1 -> FSB 4x data on core 1
* GTLVREF3 -> FSB 2x/1x address signal on core 1”

[VTT*(.XX-.67)]*1000=GTLREF adjustment in mV; where .XX is the new ratio

Above is what I was looking for. Also a note from the EVGA forums is that on the 790i the .67 may need to be .70

Back