• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit BD7 J3 ATXPWR12V1 Header Plug

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johnfort

Registered
Okay, I give up. Does any one know what the J3 12V plug is for on this board? I thought it was an additional plug from the power supply for the increased power needs of the P4. After looking at numerous power supplies that are P4/2.03 compliant, but none seem to have that output plug, which leads me to believe I'm on the wrong track. Any ideas?

You are correct as I have the same connector on my ASUS P4T mobo. Somewhere along the line develpoers have modified the need for power for P4. Intels spec is sort of overkill. the earliest boards followed the spec but after reviews determined that you could in fact provide enough power without the connector some leave them off. I purchased an Antec 400 watt PSU for my Inwin Q500 just to have the connectors my mobo said were necessary. I've never tried to power the system without them. Maximum PC did an article on the P4 in which they used a non P4 spec PSU on the P4T and even with overclocking never had an unstable condition. Hpoe this helps.

JM, that supports my theory about the extra plug. I ordered a PS with the extra and have put it all together less HDD. It's on my list for this week. Got side tracked. Thanks for the confirmation.

BTW, I was with VF-213 and VF-143 as a Tweet during the Viet Nam whateverwe'recallingitthesedaysthingy. Three deployments on the Kitty Hawk and the Constellation. We had F4's.

John

Back