• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5N32-e SLI Good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it will be ok with the high multi on the E8500. it is iffy you may get 4ghz, i would expect to see 3.6ghz no problem though. if you own the board give it a shot if you buying a board look at another one...

Thanks, Board was brand new and free so ill be using it, thanks. Could this board be the reason my E8500 is giving me high temperature???

no it wouldnt be, some cpus have thermal probes that do not correctly register idle temps. what kind of temps are you seeing and did you use coretemp 99.3?

ok well I have this setup:

So I have an E8500 with an Asus p5n32-e sli mobo. I have a coolermaster cm sphere cooler, 1 120mm exaust fan, 2 80 mm intake fans in the front and one pci cooler. Im using an Earthwatts 500W power supply, 750GB Seagate, GeForce 8800GTX and 2GB of RAM.

Im from cali and its summer time so it gets pretty hot in my room during the day, while its hot, if I run prime 95 my max core temps, read from realTemp, hit about 65 C at max, and this is not running for longer than 30 mins. At night when it is much cooler they top out at about 61 C.

I did notice that coretemps and everest show about 7 - 10C higher than realtemps becuase of the tjmax.

any and all help is appreciated

what brand/model ram?

as for your temps its highly possible bad contact to the HS to cpu IHS. other then that i would venture to say its dusty on the hs or in the case. other things would be to work on the airflow thru the case. what case do you have?

Ram is patriot PC2-6400 800MHz 2x1GB.

Brand spankin new HSF so thats not the issue, case is very lightly dusted but all componets inside are brand new.

HSF gets pretty hot so its not a contact ussue either.

The case is a coolermaster Centurion 5....

I was suggested that the cm sphere is the issue, doesnt really cool as well as it should due to its fan being sourounded by the heatsink thus just recycling hot air inside the heatsink keeping it hotter than it should be.

As far as airflow the 120mm fan is a back exaust fan, the pci cooler is also an exaust fan placed inbetween my GPU and HSF. 1 80mm intake fan on the hard drive and 1 80mm fan in the empty spot left by only having 2 cd/dvd drives (3 slots remain). Cables have been tied out of the way of the fans airflow...

Other thought is that the 8800GTX runs pretty hot but that is NORMAL. I assumed the pci exaust fan would lower the CPU core temps and it did by about 4-5 C, so not bad for a random guess on my part

air flow pattern in the case can make a difference ,what case do you have?
yes it would be highly possible the HS is the issue and not able to handle the load to your liking. i would suggest that hs for a replacement over the intel stocker but not for ocing.

Exactally what I thought... Case is a coolermaster Centurion 5.... with the 2 fans it comes with and the added 80mm in the cd/dvd drive bay and the pci exaust fan. I agree that the cm sphere is not for ocing and its true, having my cores MAX out at 65C when its around 85 - 90 F in the room with my computer. Still not where I want it to begin ocing but for everday gaming and computing that is ok. Some people out there freak out if their cores hit around 60 and but that is a full 40C below the max, assuming max tjunc to be 100C....

Those boards are VERY finicky and flaky. I have a friend who RMAed his board 3 times. The 3rd one he sold and bought a Gigabyte board as he was fed up.

If you start getting overheating problems in the north bridge, or RAM sporadically failing, then it's a good chance it is the board. Just so you know. If you do get a good one, they are rock solid.

Well currently no problems with the NB or the RAM, just higher temperatures than expected... *sigh*

Exactally what I thought... Case is a coolermaster Centurion 5.... with the 2 fans it comes with and the added 80mm in the cd/dvd drive bay and the pci exaust fan. I agree that the cm sphere is not for ocing and its true, having my cores MAX out at 65C when its around 85 - 90 F in the room with my computer. Still not where I want it to begin ocing but for everday gaming and computing that is ok. Some people out there freak out if their cores hit around 60 and but that is a full 40C below the max, assuming max tjunc to be 100C....
try this take the rear case fan in the case. have it blow air in, as your psu is already sucking air out. then if you can add a 80mm case fan to that "duct" but remove the duct and just directly mount the fan to the side to blow in.

should help lower temps a few c but prolly not much...

Sorry im slightly confused. Ur thinking I should mount the fan on the side of the case right above where the HSF is sitting????

Evilsizer you and I seem to think alike :beer: Becuase that was the one other thing I had in mind. I know that will drastically reduce the problem with my HSF as it just does the stupid recyled air technique....but I wonder if it will cool it as much as say the sunbeam core contact freezer???

My guess is that the sunbeam will drop it about 7C and the sidemount fan will drop, as you said, about 4C. If I do both thats a whopping 11C down!!:attn::attn:

But who knows, if these things actually worked like this there wouldnt be forums like this :clap:

the hs you have now vs the CCF, the CCF would be better.. with a case like yours i would go with a U120E instead drop the side case fan. you will run into issues with getting the sidepanel closed with the side fan in. then if you use the U120E use the back fan to push air out then another fan on the HS oppisite of the back fan to push air across the HS.

there are many coolers to consider first figure out how much you want to spend, if you get a new HSF. then go down the list of ones from say www.svc.com or www.sidewindercomputers.com or www.heatsinkfactory.com or www.petrastechshop.com

Back