• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM speed question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malpine Walis

Disabled
The mobo I am looking at most closely (Asus A7v266e) is rated to accept PC 2100 DDR.

So assuming that I want to see just how fast I can run my new computer, would I be better off buying really good RAM at PC 2100 and low latency or should I buy faster RAM and be sure that it will not bottleneck my efforts as I push my FSB?

Most people can get a single 256mb stick of crucial 2100 up to 170mhz cas 2 with 2.8v on a good board.

So if you want higher than that then get something else.
Unfortunately the something else's out there don't go much higher at cas2 maybe 180 unless you push a lot (3.0+) of voltage thru them.

You'd be better off buying "slower" Crucial RAM and overclocking it. It's more likely to go up very well than a lower-name brand high-speed RAM. AVOID OCZ LIKE THE PLAGUE: IT IS OVERCLOCKED GARBAGE RAM!

if i where you, I would look into another mobo .. I build PC´s all day long with MSI, Abit, Asus cards .. the cards that work very well are the Abit and the MSI, But bewere of older MSI card´s 50% of them gets back to me within a year ... =/ ... But the ones with 266a chipset works real nice... The asus card also works nice.. but if you want to run beond spec .. Buy something else than asus...

/Rulle

Back