• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 4850 on P5W DH Deluxe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The DJ

Registered
So in short, the P5W DH Deluxe is PCI Express 1.0 or 1.1? I can't seem to find a clear anwser, though I believe the former? And if so, I'd need a new mb for the above mentioned card?

I've been having problems w/ my video card (x1950 pro) and monitor, and was gonna upgrade both. And I'm really struggling just to do those.. But I also have an E6600 and 2 gigs Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 ram. So if a new mb is needed what I could do then is keep those and drop in an ASUS P5K Deluxe w/ room for some future upgrades? If I don't need to upgrade, will there be any real world performance hits when gaming?

Thanks for any help.

You will not need to switch them out. The video card is pci 2.0 which is backwards compatible with the pci 1.0/1.1 boards. Just make sure you have all the connections connected!

It will work fine with just one card, two 4850s is arguably a bottleneck since the board can only do 8x/8x crossfire but I've read conflicting things on just how much 8x/8x crossfire really affects these cards. Some say 8x/8x is only an issue at higher res like 1600x1050, others say it's mostly dependent on the CPU, others say 8x/8x hurts the cards performance no matter what.

FWIW I run two 4850s in crossfire on my foxconn 975x (same chipset as yours) and I get a 3dM03 score of 71k, opposed to 40k with only one card.

your p5w dh should work fine but if you decide to switch out your board go for the p5q e or deluxe not that i dont like my p5k its p5q is so much better for around the same price
Rich

Back