• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 will not post after ram upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Encore2097

I had 2x1GB STT DDR2-667 modules in dual channel slots 1 and 3. Then I added another STT kit 2x1GB into slots 2 and 4. After rebooting it went into 'Automatic Bios Recovery' from Hard Drive. Then upon rebooting no post. All fans and lights working no video and no error beeps. Went back to the original 2 sticks of RAM, reset CMOS, but still same result. Tried resetting CMOS and stripping it down to just CPU and video card but still same result: no post, no error codes, all fans, drives seem to be working.

From what I have read this looks like a corrupt BIOS, so is there anyway I can re-flash it or will I have to RMA? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Do you get beeps with no ram installed? If not try another clear of CMOS for a long time overnight if you can then give it another try with your original ram.

Do you get beeps with no ram installed? If not try another clear of CMOS for a long time overnight if you can then give it another try with your original ram.

Yup, same result with no ram installed -> no beeps.

I disconnected the power and took out the CMOS battery and will leave it like that overnight and try it again in the morning.

That would be a good indication of a dead board I'd clear it overnight and if you still get nothing I'd RMA

Just got the board back. Put on bench, installed CPU, CPU Fan, RAM, PCI-E gfx card, 20+4 Power Connector 12V CPU connector, speaker connection and same issue. No POST no error codes / beep codes. Checked voltages all are great. Swapped 4x stick of ram 1 at a time. GFX fan comes on so it seems to be ok. Im pretty sure the CPU is not dead...

So did I get another busted board? I sent Gigabyte support another e-mail.

On another note their support was pretty fast: Sent 9/30, they received 10/2 and they returned it 10/6 and I received it 10/13.

pull the videocard beeps? pull all the ram beeps? If possible try your cpu and graphics card in another PC.

Going to test the RAM and video card tomorrow at work. Maybe even the CPU. Will let you know, but if they all work, like I think they will; then motherboard is DOA :/ Makes me lose my faith in Gigabyte products.

Video card is good, 3x RAM are good, 1x is bad.

EDIT: CPU is ok.... so I got another bad mobo awesome time to call gigabyte

Last edited:
I'd still test the cpu if you can. Its more likely to be the board but cpus do occasionally die

Back