• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Painsorrow

This may sound like a stupid question. but i am planning on getting two 4870x2's. but saying a 4870x2 is two cards in one what mobo would i need to run two of them? or doesnt it matter as long as it has two pcie slots? thanks.

Since you are going all out on the Video cards...you better plan on going all out on the PSU/MB/Ram...(especially PSU)

Kind of defeats the purpose of running 2 high end cards like that on a 100.00 MB...you really need to check out the rampage extreme or asus p5q3 deluxe...

running x2's all you need is 2 PCI-E slots (1 per card)...
but the key thing is what the PCI-E slots run at in CF ;)...

i was reading that review from brollocks and apparently it doesnt realy make a difference if both slots run in 8x8 or 16x16 until you get to really high resolution. but i would plan on getting a board with like a x48 chipset so i have the full 16x16 because if im spending 2grand on just gpu's i want it to run the best it can haha. computer parts cost WAY to much where i live haha. and its so hard to find wc parts :S

With the new E0 revisions...WC is almost overkill now...really good highend air cooling is all you really need unless going for mega OC...then its LN2 ;)...

i already have water now. but i want to upgrade my rad or throw another loop in for gpu's or something i think. but i prefer the quietness of water plus the novelty haha. no one i know has it so i enjoy showing my 28c load to people haha.

justy saw the price of teh rampage over here haha $767 haha

I believe that is the New Zealand price converted to US dollars. In his OP he said it is going to cost him $2k for the graphics cards.

OP: What resolution do you plan on playing at? Unless it is a 30" monitor you are getting major overkill. Even with a 30" I think its hard to justify the difference with the cost of the card. I think you would get more performance for you dollar by just going with one now and then a newer generation card in 6 months or a year. Now if your a bencher then its a different story.

haha sorry yeah it is in NZ dollar yeah i prob will jsut buy one for now i get what you mean. but i want to run 2 19 inch widescreens and a 32inch lcd tv maybe a 37 or 42 inch. but it will depends on how much money i can get. im more going to save till i have enough and buy whats going at the time. but i like the 4870x2's so i was more curious about how to run two. will take me a whi9le to save with the job i have :p haha. **hopes to win lotto** haha. but i just won $450 on a game so theres a start haha.

Key things to remember...2 of those cards are going to create a whole bunch of heat...so you will either want to run a tech station or a server based case so you have pleanty of air flow to keep the heat away from the rest of your componets...

The next this is PSU...do not go cheap and do not go light...you need to use at least a 1k high quality PSU...more towards 1300 with everything you want them to do...

yeah thats what i thought. i was thinking water? but ive heard those cards push out ALOT of heat. i have a tt armor so its not a small case. weighs to much already :S haha. thanks for all the advice :)

Back