• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building new system...could use some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

B3tchO

Hey guys Im somewhat new to the forum, least on the posting sence.....being coming here from time to time for the past year or so..

Well I could use some advice now Im building a new system. If been overclocking for some time now.. have had my PIII 800e running at about 1.1 now for over a year or so rock solid with a home build peltier setup (neopreme/copper plate etc).

Now with the new PIV Northwoods and their overclocking potential I just cant resist that purchase.

Now for some question that I could use some imput on:

1)what mobo would u guys suggest ?

If been reading up on the reviews etc....the "ASUS P4T-E" from what Ic has a very low max vcore..(1.70 ) Im correct on this? If so thats just not cutting it IMO....leaves no room at all

The "ABIT TH7II" looks very nice but would I see much speed diff from the Rambus ram of a max b/w of 3200MB/s compared to the "Asus P4S333" mobo with DDR333 @ 2666MB/s and a lower latency ? Both these boards I can find any info on Max vcore....

2)Im also curious if anyone has had some hands on exp with these chipsets "SiS" "i850" ..any issues ?

3)How does this Rambus ram overclock? is she worth it for the extra cost/performance ?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated guys......my goal is to get a 2.2 to close or past 3.0ghz with 100% stability as my system now.

The RDRAM vs. DDR memory is subject to lots of debate. I don't think you could go wrong with either. Any of the three mobos you mentioned would be good, but I might add one more that supports DDR RAM, the Abit BD7 (with or without RAID). It will probably be awful tough to overclock the new Northwoods to the 3 gig range like what you hope. Remember, these are the first core steppings and most hardware reviewers are only hitting 2.5 to 2.6 gig with them so far. You might wait a couple months until the prices come down and the next stepping is introduced.

First off ..Thx for replying batboy. Ya Ive checking out that "Abit BD7" I does look good but seems there is no Manual out yet for it on abit's site......dont care to go into her blind in a sence . ya I was planing on waiting a bit in general for my upgrade, for atleast for intel to get their yeids up on the waffers. Have u heard of date for the next stepping? or are u going off the expected date for the 2.4ghz?

I don't know when the next Northwood stepping will be released, but like you suggested, common sense dictates that it probably won't be until they introduce faster CPUs than the 2.2 gig P-4. As for BD7 manuals, you can download one from the below listed link. There are also several good reviews about the BD7 if you do an internet search using Google.

http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/dlmanual.php?name=BD7 Series&file=bd7.pdf

You wouldn't want to buy the 2.4 if you have LOTS OF BUCKS.

The difference from 2.2 to 2.4 would be a large gap.

What you mentioned was good but I also heard people saying the Abit BD7 was going to be a wicked board, as well as the Asus P4T-E is currently a very good modern board which uses rambus and have future support for those chips.

I'd wait a couple months after the release to get a Northwood, because there could be lots of changes, as new steppings will come and you get a little time to decide since people will report alot of stuff with bugs and such, motherboard and cpu wise.

Like how the Tualatin is being discussed now.

Yodums

Back