• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tired of dealing with this ASUS P5E POS. What will better mate with a Q9450?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FliGi7

I've had nothing but problems with this thing ranging from (initially) way too high native vcore, random on-board components not being initialized in Windows and requiring re-boot, random shutdowns, takes about 30 seconds to get past the cd-rom's during boot (no clue why), BIOS failures (requiring F1 to load default setup at random times, even at default settings), and inconsistent power-on (i.e. I press the power on button, it starts for a second, shuts off for 5 seconds, then fully powers on).

I'm sick of these things, not to mention this board blows for OC'ing.

Can someone please recommend me a better board for my Q9450? I'm only looking to do a very civil OC of running the FSB 1:1 with my DDR2-800 to get an OC of 3.2GHz STABLE. Surprisingly, with this POS mobo, that was never even stable. :bang head

I would say that the Gigabyte EP35 DS3L would be a good board. You may even want to try a P45 chipset. I've heard good things about the Abit P35 and P45 boards.

I want to make sure I can still keep my existing NVIDIA card and I'll need something with 6 SATA connectors as well. I'm a bit lost on the differences between my existing X38 chipset and the P45's. Would it be better to go P45 or X48?

I looked at the P5Q, got great reviews, but it's a cheaper board than mine. I'm just having trouble understanding how a cheaper board turned out better than mine?

ive had the same problems as you fligi and im getting to the point where its becoming a pain. the board really does suck for overclocking as i hit an fsb wall about 450. really anything over 430 is a crapshoot whether or not it will post without defaulting. and the poweron problem you mentioned happens too. if you plan on running only one vga or dont mind doing xfire with 2 8x pcix slots then the p45 chipset is a good one. plus you get the ich10r if you plan to raid. so yea i learned the lesson too that just because it costs more doesnt mean you get more. ive been looking into a p45 board but like you, wanted to know the biggest differences between the x3/48s and the p45s aside from what i just mentioned

Why haven't you RMA'ed it? I've had several P5E variations (including the X38). The X38 isn't the top overclocking board for the 45nm CPUs but they do work fine with some overclocking. Is your PSU sufficient?

The 45nm quad CPUs are know to have a FSB wall that seems to range from 450ish to 475, sometimes higher and sometimes lower so don't expect a 500 FSB unless you got an extremely good chip.

The 5 sec on-off as they boot is standard for all the ASUS boards I have.

If you're past the RMA stage then go for a P45 based board. P45's are the best for 45nm CPUs.

I've certainly had similar fustrations with a number of different boards so hang in there. :beer:

Last edited:
Why haven't you RMA'ed it?

I am in the process of that as we speak.

deeppow said:
The 5 sec on-off as they boot is standard for all the ASUS boards I have.

Actually, it's not because after I do the CMOS reset it doesn't do it again until I get another random shutdown from whatever failure that is currently going on. Then, it goes back into the quick on/off, then back on mode.

So, what would be the better board to move on to - the P5Q Deluxe or Maximus II Formula?

I know better than to make the judgment based on price after all of this.

I personally vote for the rampage extreme...dont know what Asus did on this board...but the 480 limit is no longer a factor...

Hell if hardocp can hit 500 on a quad with a extreme...think what someone that truely know what they are tweaking can do with one ;)...

I don't care about OC'ing the crap out of it, is the thing. I'm only looking to run this at a 400MHz OC STABLE (this is the key factor here). This board does nothing of a stable nature. If a $30 board can run my Q9450 at 3.2GHz stable and cool (aka doesn't jack the vcore up no matter what settings) I will buy it.

either grab the P5Q or P5Q-PRO or even the P5K-DLX, main reason for those is the 8 phase pwm. even on P35 you can get a 45nm quad to hit 400mhz fsb. all you want is 400mhz fsb you dont need some spendy board to hit that...

As Evilsizer says, one of the ASUS P45 boards will meet your needs quite easily. In fact while you maybe happy with 3.2G (400FSB), I would be surprised if you couldn't do something near 3.6G with very little effort.

Good luck whatever board you choose! Let us know how it goes. :beer:

Yea, at only 3.2GHz my temps are mid to upper 40's C at idle with an Arctic Freezer Pro 7. I mean, my room is kinda hot, but that's a bit ridiculous for temps.

Yea, at only 3.2GHz my temps are mid to upper 40's C at idle with an Arctic Freezer Pro 7. I mean, my room is kinda hot, but that's a bit ridiculous for temps.

That actually doesn't sound out of range. At 3.6GHz I am idling at 42 degrees with a better CPU heatsink than you have.

I have a Q6600 @ 3.2 (400x8) and idle temps are 38-40ish ambient around 76f with the ACF7. and i have the same board as you. almost none of the issues you speak of. i got rid of the Jmicron controller i disabled it in the bios so i don't get the 20sec delay on boot up. and i have taken my Q6600 to 4.0
(9x445) just to boot. it was to hot to run like that. I agree with everyone you got a bad board. I might want to sell this board on OCF later when i want to up grade. SO QUIT BASHING THIS BOARD!!!!!!:beer: j/k

but really i had a few issues with it and resolved them all. Oh my first gigabyte board x38-ds6 :eek: crapped a bios when i installed 4 gigs of ram!!
and it refused to see my raptor drive in bios!!! what a pain.

ALL Intel chipset boards have to do a cold reset when you change the FSB. It's just the way they work. You can change any BIOS setting other than the FSB and have the normal "warm" reset, but if you change the FSB, it has to do the shutdown-wait-then-power-back-on thing.

ALL Intel chipset boards have to do a cold reset when you change the FSB. It's just the way they work. You can change any BIOS setting other than the FSB and have the normal "warm" reset, but if you change the FSB, it has to do the shutdown-wait-then-power-back-on thing.

Yes, but this would happen indefinitely after the random shutdown. It's not just a one-time thing.

i got rid of the Jmicron controller i disabled it in the bios so i don't get the 20sec delay on boot up.

What is this you speak of? It's this controller that creates the delay? Can you explain a bit more?

On the Rampage Formula, there is an option to set the delay to wait for drives to initialize. It defaults to 20 seconds. I set it to 0 on my board, and it still detects my drives with no problem.

Back