• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Differences Between "Intel Matrix Storage Manager" and "Intel Matrix Storage Tech.."

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woz101

Differences Between "Intel Matrix Storage Manager" and "Intel Matrix Storage Tech.."

What's the difference between "Intel Matrix Storage Manager" and "Intel Matrix Storage Technology"?

If you go to "Intel," "Downloads," "Chipsets," and "Chipset Software," they'll be there. They are listed as two separate entries, with different driver version numbers.

I have an Asus P5K E WiFi/AP mobo, which uses the Intel P35 chipset. So if I want to reinstall my OS(Vista Ultimate, 64 bit), which one should I use--"Matrix Storage Manager" or "Matrix Storage Technology"? I have enabled AHCI in the BIOS, and have three hard disks. They are NOT set up as RAID, however.

Also, in the same place where you find "Intel Matrix Storage Manager or Technology," the download of "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility" is NOT available there! Neither for Vista 64 bit, nor for 32 bit!

Anyone knows why?

The "Chipset Software Installation Utility" is a must-have install--it is the driver for the smbus. Short of which, there would be a red cross in "Device Manager" on the appropriate item.

I know I could download this item from Asus's website, but stuff there is usually outdated, so I always check related manufacturers' websites first for the most updated drivers or files.

If you have any info on this and care to drop me a clue, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Hey, man, thanks a bunch!

Now, where did you find that "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility"?

I checked "Intel.com," "Downloads," "Chipsets," "Chipset Software," and then "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility," but was given the message that that file is NOT available!?

With regard to the "Matrix Storage Manager," I know where to find the driver, but my question is: what's the difference, if any, between "Intel Matrix Storage Manager" and "Intel Matrix Storage Technology"?

Thanks again for the info.

The "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility" I downloaded from Asus's website is an older version. I think I might want to update to this new version.

Thanks again!

The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility for both Vista x86 and x64 can be found here...

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility v9.0.0.1008
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...ndows+Vista*+64&lang=eng&strOSs=150&submit=Go!

... and you'll want to download the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (this applies to both Vista x86 and x64):

Intel Matrix Storage Manager v8.5.0.1032
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...ndows+Vista*+64&lang=eng&strOSs=150&submit=Go!

This is the option you should be selecting...

I chose that option! But after that, I was given the message: "download not available"! :screwy:

I mean I've got the download, so it's not really that big a deal. But I am still puzzled, though.

Also, after I installed the new version of "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility" over the old version, my system hung during reboot. It hung also, after Windows Update installed a bunch of stuff. Looks like I might have messed up my OS install and will need a new install.

That's not pleasurable!

Back