• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What graphics chipset?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karkas

So I'm gunna build my father-in-law a rig with a quad not sure yet if 65nm or 45nm.

He doesn't do any gaming so I'm thinking of going with a mobo with an integrated GPU. I know next to nothing about the different chipsets g45/g35 etc. What are the GPU chipset drawbacks/limitations?

I was hoping someone would be able to recommend a good board that will allow me to apply a mild-modest OC at a reasonable price.

But given that an 8800gt is ~$100 i dunno, maybe I should just give him that...

Thanks for advice in advance

Last edited:
I say go for a mobo and GPU. I don't think p45 or p35 will make a big difference in a mild quad overclock. Plus you can just grab a cheap board and a cheap GPU for less than a graphics mobo and have the option to buy a good GPU later.

Go with the option that limits the computer's future the least.

And you could put an unused GPU to folding use anyway.:)

For starters why would a non power user even need a quad?

A low end C2duo should be sufficient.

My wifes rig has an e4600 running at 3.0 ghz and its plenty fast.

For starters why would a non power user even need a quad?

A low end C2duo should be sufficient.

My wifes rig has an e4600 running at 3.0 ghz and its plenty fast.

He does a lot of DVD ripping & encoding & editing along with lots of other multitasking. Sure a C2D would be fine, but I think he would get more use from the quad & it will prolly be good for him for at least 2 more years.

I say go for a mobo and GPU. I don't think p45 or p35 will make a big difference in a mild quad overclock. Plus you can just grab a cheap board and a cheap GPU for less than a graphics mobo and have the option to buy a good GPU later.

I was under the impression a decent G45 chipset was ~$100, where as even with a cheap 8800gt & a decent OCable mobo I'm looking at ~$180-200.

Go with the option that limits the computer's future the least.

Can't you always disble onboard video and drop in a discreet video card later?

Like I said, I'm not well informed on these mobos, so I'm really open to further suggestions....

well G45 is X4500HD meaning it decodes all the blueray on the video chip. the board is only $130is from newegg for the Asus and gigibyte one.

all these boards are limited anyways, LGA775 is going away. intels new socket is coming soon so it doesnt matter what you get. As long as it has the features for HIM, a quad will help with encoding but not ripping. If you got with a G4x based board he will be able to run 45nm quads. Not to mention MATX boards in the ocing area have come along ways starting with G3x and should be better with G4x.

Back