• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, P45 or X48?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darur

Hey folks,

I've been considering a new Intel build for a while (former AMD fan, finally drank the punch, it was good :) ), but I'm stuck on which chipset to go with. I'm planning on using a Q9550 and I'm looking for whichever board will give me the best performance and overclocking. If I go X48 I'm looking at the Foxconn BlackOps x48, but if I go P45 I'm thinking the Asus Maximus II Formula.

I'd prefer to go with the x48 chipset because I want to go DDR3 but I've read somewhere that P45s offer better overclocking with quads then x48s.

Any input or suggestions would be great, thanks!

Hrmm, I'm liking the look of those boards.

I'm noticing that not many OC'rs seem to be talking about DDR3 P45 boards though, are the DDR2 boards performing better or something?

The reason why DDR3 boards aren't so hot is because DDR3 RAM at its current state still costs quite a bunch and offers almost no performance increase over the DDR2s.

I'm really liking the look of that gigabyte ep45t-extreme, I think unless something changes I'll go with it.

Thanks for the help guys!

Back