• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit ST6 and PIII-S 1,26 Ghz...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manu78

Hi,

I'm a french overclocker and it my first post in this forum, so excuse me for my poor english...:eek:

I have recently bought a new PIII-S 1,26 Ghz to replace my Celeron 1,2 Ghz on my ST6-R and it was the begining of bad surprises...

1. first, I have breaked an attach of my ST6'socket when I wanted to fixed the Intel radiator on the CPU...
grrr, so I' have used my 'old' Aqua690 with large attach and i have succeded to fixe my CPU...Ok, next step

2. after, my ST6 don't want to boot with the PIII-S (I have heard the fans & the scan of my drives so I'm sure that the CPU works but it locks after some seconds et nothing appear on the screen..)
I have reset the CMOS, try change some switches but nothing, the ST6 don't want to boot with the PIII-S...

3. I reinstall my celeron 1,2 Ghz and miracle, it works again without problems

So, i'm very desappointed; I knows that the PIII-S is not in the official comptability's list of ST6 but I'have seen some benchs and reviews of the PIII-S realised with a ST6...

Have you an idea to solve my problem ? Bios version in cause perhaps (i use the last bios 6A)...Someone has a ST6 with a PIII-S ? I wouldn't change my ST6 because it's a very good motherboard but if i have no other choices...can you tell me the best motherboard for pIII-S...

Thanks for your futures advices...

David
;)

Have you tried using the jumpers on board instead of SoftMenu? Maybe hitting insert on startup bypass SoftMenu?

Sklathill said:
Have you tried using the jumpers on board instead of SoftMenu? Maybe hitting insert on startup bypass SoftMenu?

Yes, I've change some jumpers to fixe the bus at 133 Mhz and it's the same result.
No effect with the insert key... :(

It's perhaps my bios which is responsible; I am using the version 6a and there's a lock with this processor. I have not tried with older bios version...

Somebody else has a suggestion ??

;)

Yesssss, le PIII-S works perfectly on my ST6-R now !!!

I have just tried again but before to put le PIII-S on the ST6, I have retired the battery during 10 minutes...and the ST6 has recognised the processor.
I don't understand why it didn't work the first time but now it's Ok and the perfs of this new proco are really impressive...

So, I confirm that the PIII-S est compatible with the ST6...
A good news, non ??? ;)

Back