• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which memory stick is the best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amair_sc

I have to replace my current generic crappo and want to buy the best for overclocking, the price should not be a problem, ill work overtime for quality RAM :beer:!

So what is the absolute best 256 meg memory stick on the market ?

Thanks in advance :D

Kingmax PC2700 5ns is by far the best, at least from what I've read about it. Mine arrives on Monday, so I can tell you for sure then. I've owned the OCZ PC3000 as well, and it sucks bad. The Kingmax is the only DDR I'm aware of that has 5ns chips. Most others have 7.5ns chips. I paid $93 for 256MB at kommax.com. Some people say the outrageously priced Mushkin or Corsair is better, but these still use the slower chips. If I were you, I'd go with the Kingmax and be sure to get some cooling. If you want to wait til Monday, I can tell you exactly how well it performs.

Here is my findings on my board, 2x256mb kingmax 2700=175mhz cas2 2.8v.
2x256mb crucial 2100 170mhz cas2 2.8v.

As for what ddr is the best it depends what you want ultimate top end at slowest settings,high voltage. Then the twinmos 2700 would come out on top with 3.2v but crap's out at cas2 around 155mhz.

If you want highest at cas2 reasonable voltage then kingmax 2700 and corsair 2700 are about in a tie.
Mushkin might do well but so far no one has tested it.
Of course memory sticks are like cpu's in that they all will or should do their rated speed, how far you can push them can and will vary from stick to stick.

Placid,

What type of Crucial mem ddr are you using? I notice they have a few different kind. What model # is yours?

Thanks

I took the stickers off when I put heat spreaders on.
I ordered the unbuffered, non parity cas 2.5.

Your board can make a ton of difference as to what you can get from your memory.

As a example people who used crucial 2100 in a Epox 8k7a then upgraded to a epox 8KHA+ found they could no longer run their memory at the same speed and voltage.
Even a different bios version on the same board can have a effect.

O.k so I guess the Kingmax PC2700 5ns it is :D, I assume these guys have a website? You guys have any links to places that sell it for a fair price? Ill start looking too!

Thanks very much for the advice :) !

Edited : I read too fast >> Kommax.com

Back