• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first phase change project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sno.lcn

Senior2 Member
For the upcoming forum wars, I'll be competing in the A class. In that class, we're limited to air, water, and phase change, so no DI or LN2 for me :(

So I figured what the hell, I've always wanted an excuse to build one. If anyone has any suggestions or tips for me, let them fly. I'm about as new to this as one can get. And I'm wanting this thing to get as cold as possible. I've been reading lots of guides lately, and think I have at least a slight idea of what I'm doing.

I took apart this AC unit. I have a window one if anyone thinks I should use that instead, but I like this one. I used to use this baby to freeze my room while benching, it cools a good size room pretty nicely. I paid like $400 for it about 2 years ago.
pict0255ep8.jpg

Taking the unit apart...
pict0256gr6.jpg

pict0257ov6.jpg

pict0259zf4.jpg

Hehe well at least I know what all the parts are.

The compressor. If anyone is familiar with this and thinks I should use a different one please let me know.
pict0260gx0.jpg

The condenser looks nice and big, that's good right?

Anyway I'm going to modify this unit to be the housing for a few reasons:
1. I don't care about size.
2. I like the fan, and could care less about noise.
3. It's on wheels.

I'll remove the evaporator from the top, and the hole it uses to connect to the rest of the system will be where the new suction line and captube will go to the new evap.

pict0262rw4.jpg

pict0263se7.jpg

Gomeler at XS (and here, but rarely) told me to grab stuff like a suction line and evap from Under the Ice so i went ahead and ordered a Chillly1 custom lineset, since I really really want this to work, and am not confident enough in my brazing yet. Plus in includes mounting hardware. When it arrives I'm having an AC tech buddy of mine braze and charge the system, assuming the compressor and condenser I'm using are okay. By the way, anything else I need for future phase change projects I may have, I'll be ordering from the same place. But I'll make a thread in the vendor discussion about that later on.

The evap and lines came today. I've impressed by everything that came with it, including the nice mounting and lots of insulation.

pict0263cp4.jpg

pict0265rt1.jpg

pict0266tm6.jpg

Still need to lap the evap, but I didn't bring enough coarse grit sandpaper to school with me so I'll do it when I go home this weekend :)

I'm going to be terrified drilling a hole for a temp probe in it though, since I can't see inside like an LN2 pot :eek:

Last edited:
First thing you will hear from this section in not to vent the current gasses in to the air .

I would practice with your Blow torch and sodder .

Also look for some one who can charge your setep.

Don't worry, I'm taking it somewhere to remove the gas too. I was going to just cut it on my back porch, but remembered that it's toxic :)

This is something I would love to have time to try ( the the $ for the tools ) . Good luck Once you start making these and get good @ it you can sell them to cover the costs of your New HW =)

Looks like a good start. Just have the HVAC tech pull the old charge out, cut off the old filter/dryer and suction from the evaporator and then braze in the chilly1 line set from Ron. That's a nice compressor too, I had one of those in a cascade, was surprisingly quiet for a rotary

This is something I would love to have time to try ( the the $ for the tools ) . Good luck Once you start making these and get good @ it you can sell them to cover the costs of your New HW =)

It's hard to sell these and make an overall profit. It's better to look at it as a way to feed your research.

I just got an email from Ron saying the lineset was shipped out today. So there's a chance I'll have full assembly by the end of the week :D

well i still dont get how to make a extream cooling set, someone needs to make a video!!!!

Looking forward to seeing this one! What HP is the compressor and is it loud? Looks like the condenser has some big fat tubing unlike the tight lines in small window ACs. Good luck!

do it ! do it ! eye got an indoor ac just like that 1

and want to do the same thing to it !

hurry up hahahahaahahahahahahaaa

Evap kit just arrived. Going to give it a good lapping, will post pics later tonight :D

Going to try to get it all hooked up and charged tomorrow. If not I may have to wait until Monday.

Back