• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Did Prices Go Up?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ice Breaker 489

Guys, this really sucks...not that I haven't known about this until now but I'm asking WHY???

does anyone know why the ram prices went up?

in October 512mb ddr was about $70-$90
now its around $150-$200

if anyone knows why it happened just tell me...and if anyone has any predictions on when the prices will lower that would help too.

:mad: :confused: :mad:

They claim since intel boards started using ddr instead of rambus the demand is high.

No idea when it will get cheaper, it might even go up more.

The truth:

The reasons are:

Consolidation: Companies are merging, this always raises prices.

Memory was selling FAR below cost before. It still is below-cost (the prices on crucial.com now they still take a LOSS per stick sold).

Earthquakes in Taiwan have decreased the production capacity of factories.

The economic climate worldwide, especially in the U.S. has forced cutbacks in production, as well as more money being needed, again causing prices to rise.

Higher demand: Now that the P4 utilizes DDR ram, as well as laptops using DDR more and more, demand is far higher which raises prices. (This last blurb was an edit).

As high as the prices seem now, if you need the RAM or think you will eventually, BUY IT NOW. The prices now will seem awesome compared to what they will be in 3-5 months according to industry reports. Cnet had an article with analysis talking a ton about the prices and how they'll keep skyrocketting.

Last edited:
Prices

You guys are all wrong... The RAM mines in Taiwan are almost empty... So the harsh slave drivers were making the Gnome people mine even deeper in to the earth to find elusive RAM deposits. After years of tyranny the Gnome people have revolted. Because of the Insurrection, no RAM has been mined for quite some time. So supply is going down, therefore the price is going up. I wouldn't get too worried though. Last I heard the Gnome people are about to win the Revolution... Then they will control the slave drivers who are capable of a much greater mining capacity. Prices will lower for sure after that. Who knows they may even discover the Fabled Triple Data Rate RAM Shangri-La fabled in Gnomish Fairy Tales.

Re: Prices

Darrenct said:
You guys are all wrong... The RAM mines in Taiwan are almost empty... So the harsh slave drivers were making the Gnome people mine even deeper in to the earth to find elusive RAM deposits. After years of tyranny the Gnome people have revolted. Because of the Insurrection, no RAM has been mined for quite some time. So supply is going down, therefore the price is going up. I wouldn't get too worried though. Last I heard the Gnome people are about to win the Revolution... Then they will control the slave drivers who are capable of a much greater mining capacity. Prices will lower for sure after that. Who knows they may even discover the Fabled Triple Data Rate RAM Shangri-La fabled in Gnomish Fairy Tales.

If they're not careful, or if they dig too deep, they'll awaken the Balrog!!

Re: Re: Prices

Taylor said:

If they're not careful, or if they dig too deep, they'll awaken the Balrog!!

Haven't you Heard? Recently the mighty Balrog was smitten in a fierce battle with Lothar of the Hill People. Good old Lothar... I am a little worried that they might Dig all the way through the earth... then they might awaken an even mightier threat then we could ever deal with... Janet Reno!!!! Dun, Dun, Dun!!!!

RAM Prices

Sorry Icebreaker, I guess we should address your question. I don't think anyone really knows what will happen to RAM prices... Try asking God. Until the wacky world of RAM is figured out, I only have one word of advice:
"Don't let the man get you down"
-Lucas
Empire Records

who knows?

As som1 said, if I could predict the future...

However, according to all the analysts, etc (check yahoo finance, CNN or whatever) RAM prices are likely to continue to rise for reasons already stated here, including: consolidation; lower production; *higher demand* I have a feeling the last is actually the greatest change, now that the P4 can use DDR, demand should skyrocket.

My $.02

ITS QUITE SIMPLE THE CHICKENS ARENT LAYING AS MUCH RAM NOW because of the sudden decrease in cheese. A special substance in the cheese gave sustenance to these special chickens and they had enough energy to squeeze out those precious crucial memory modules. IF you want RAM - go buy your self a chicken farm - FOOLS!

you all have it wrong. the ocean isn't as rich in RAM deposits. when the water dries up it only lets out motherboards and CPU's so that theres a shortage of RAM. CNN reported though, that the RAM deposits were carried by whales up to Antarctica. If you want to get RAM, its really cheap in Antarctica. seriously

JoeCrappa said:
you all have it wrong. the ocean isn't as rich in RAM deposits. when the water dries up it only lets out motherboards and CPU's so that theres a shortage of RAM. CNN reported though, that the RAM deposits were carried by whales up to Antarctica. If you want to get RAM, its really cheap in Antarctica. seriously

what?

Hehee, I bought my 512mb in october just one day before the prices started to rise.:D

does anyone know why the ram prices went up?

They sell it, we need it.

Back