• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR Ram settings?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puti

Registered
Hey all...

I have got some additional questions concerning the settings for my RAM in the system's BIOS:

I know - by reading through a lot of old posts - that a setting of "2T" for Ram is generally faster, and some benchmark test I did on my system show that, as well.

Strangely - or maybe not that - I have additional settings in my award bios on the ASUS A7V-266E (equipped with an Athlon XP 1600+) that I cannot do anything with.

I have set
CAS Latency to 2T (other option 3T)
RAS Precharge Time to 2 (o.o. 3T)
RAS to CAS Delay to 2T (o.o. 3T)

This should be the 2-2-2 setting everyone is talking about.

But what can I do with the following:

Active to Precharge Time
can be set to either 6T (default) or 5T.
5T also seems to be faster, system remains stable.

DDR_1T/2T_Item can be set to either 2T (default) or 1T. I have set to 1T - runs smoothly, but what IS it?!

Than there is (and I have no idea what to set there):

DRAM 4K / 8K Page Enable
(can be set to either Auto, 4K or 8K)

and

DRAM Burst Length
(can be set to 8QW or 4QW).

What are those last few settings and what gives best performance?
The lower the number the better, meaning also setting 5T and 1T where possible?
And what about 4K or 4QW?!

Thanks for your help...

- Puti

Hey there...

Thanks for the info. I have read on the - very informative - link above that the 5T setting will not greatly improve the speed of my RAM either and I switched back to 6T instead - I am also pretty sure that this setting caused my system's instability over the last two weeks.
According to Sandra, I also only "lost" about 3 MB/sec speed by resetting this value.

Does using the 1T value in the command setting do anything (physically) to my RAM (it is an Infineon 256 MB 2CL, BTW)? This setting gives me an extra 60 MB/sex transfer speed with my RAM...

- Puti

Back